Sign in with
Your question

Connecting wireless pcs and wired devices to a linksys befw11s4

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 26, 2010 2:53:20 PM

Hello,

Our offic is running as follows: dedicated phone line with DSL/Fax connected. DSL modem-Efficient Networks, Speedstream 5100. Fax machine fax line is connected to same line as modem via a plug splitter connected to back of modem. Downstream of the modem is a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless access point router connected via ethernet cable. Into the router is an ethernet cable from the fax/copier and an ethernet connection to a desktop computer.

The problem I am encountering is I loose internet and email capability regularly and have to reboot or reset the router and the modem to get it all back. I recently noticed an error message on the fax/copier which says "The same IPv4 address already exist" I am also recieving a message on my laptop connected wirelessly to the network, "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network". I wonder if the IP address conflict is what is causing my internet connection problem, if so could someone suggest a solution to all this?

February 26, 2010 3:45:24 PM

That BEFW11S4 router is a pretty old device. Can I assume you've had it for a while and this current configuration has been working fine for some time and only now acting up? Any changes to this configuration lately we should know about?

Whenever I see what has been a stable configuration and aging equipment, my first inclination (assuming no recent changes) is some piece of hardware is beginning to fail, like the router. These consumer grade devices don't last forever. How old is it?

As far as the duplicate IP address, any chance someone has hardcoded their IP configuration rather than using the router’s DHCP server? Or maybe some changes have been made to the router’s DHCP server, maybe somewhere you have a static IP assignments (e.g., printer) and then someone changed the DHCP server’s IP range and now it conflicts w/ that static IP??

m
l
March 1, 2010 9:52:29 AM

I just recently returned to this company, this system worked fairly well when I set it up three years ago but yes while I've been gone the printer has been added. I haven't thought about the static IP, the printer/copier was added while I was gone. I will check it that may be the problem. Yes the router is pretty old, don't know exactly how old I would guess 4 or 5 years+. Thanks for the insight.
m
l
April 9, 2010 2:12:50 AM

Im having the same problem but im just going to replace mine, Would any one know of a good replacement for this router?, Something for gaming purposes but for the same use?
m
l
!