Add Domain user to Local Group via vb script

I am looking to add a domain user to the local admin group
via vb scripting. I have a script to add a local user to
the local group but am uncertain how to modify
appropriately to pull the domain user.

Any help?
5 answers Last reply
More about domain user local group script

    Jason wrote:

    > I am looking to add a domain user to the local admin group
    > via vb scripting. I have a script to add a local user to
    > the local group but am uncertain how to modify
    > appropriately to pull the domain user.
    >
    > Any help?
    Hi

    '--------------------8<----------------------

    Set oWshNet = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

    sUser = "fill in some domain user name here"

    sNetBIOSDomain = oWshNet.UserDomain
    sComputer = oWshNet.ComputerName

    Set oGroup = GetObject("WinNT://" & sComputer & "/Administrators,group")
    Set oUser = GetObject("WinNT://" & sNetBIOSDomain & "/" & sUser & ",user")

    ' suppress errors in case the user is already a member
    On Error Resume Next
    oGroup.Add(oUser.ADsPath)
    On Error Goto 0
    '--------------------8<----------------------

    If the computers are in another domain than the user you
    want to add, you will need to hard code the domain name
    the user belongs to in the variable "sNetBIOSDomain".

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    To take this one step further, the DOMAIN USERS group had
    been added to the Local Admin group. How can I, via
    vbscript, remove that group from the workstations?

    Thanks,

    ' computer name
    sNode = oWshNet.ComputerName

    ' group name to remove user or group from
    Set oGroup = GetObject("WinNT://" & sNode & "/Administrators")

    ' loop through all member of the group
    For Each oUser In oGroup.Members

    ' get the name and make it lowercase
    sGroupEntry = LCase(oUser.Name)

    If (sGroupEntry = "domain users") Then
    ' remove entry from group
    oGroup.Remove oUser.ADsPath
    End if
    Next
    '--------------------8<----------------------

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thanks Much.

    These scripts really help.

    You can also do this pretty easily via the "net localgroup" command (though
    this isn't really VBScript, you could call it from a vbs):

    net localgroup Administrators /add DOMAIN\USERNAME

    --
    Please reply in newsgroup.

    "Jason" <jason.brimhall@questar.com> wrote in message
    >I am looking to add a domain user to the local admin group
    > via vb scripting. I have a script to add a local user to
    > the local group but am uncertain how to modify
    > appropriately to pull the domain user.
    >
    > Any help?

Configuration VBScript Domain Microsoft Windows XP