Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New power supply computer wont recognize keyboard or mouse

Last response: in CPUs
January 23, 2010 3:52:09 AM

Had computer in shop and after they installed a new hard drive and power supply it worked fine there. when i set it up at home the keyboard and mouse weren't recognized. i unplugged both, checked batteries, changed keyboard and mouse with older ones but nothing. had to keep hitting restart button to restart and a window popped up wanting to install video stream. without a working keyboard or mouse I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. i won't be able to return the CPU to the shop until Monday and they already had it for 12 days telling me the registry was corrupted/bloated and it needed a new hard drive & p/s. they built it for me 4 years ago and i've had very few problems. any suggestions? pcd1027@yahoo.com
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2010 5:13:13 AM

Does the keyboard work in the BIOS/post. Is it only in windows it doesn't work. Do these keyboards require a driver? Are these USB devices or PS/2?
Score
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2010 1:22:58 PM

Where did u plug that mouse/keyboard? USB or PS/2?
If it USB then u can try plug on the back of your case(integrated with motherboard).
Score
Related resources
January 23, 2010 10:25:24 PM

someguy7 said:
Does the keyboard work in the BIOS/post. Is it only in windows it doesn't work. Do these keyboards require a driver? Are these USB devices or PS/2?

thanks, I unplugged all usb devices and only plugged in the mouse/keyboard transmitter. then restarted the computer it worked. now i can't seem to get sound. i have a logitech surround sound system and all plugs are in correctly but i don't even get system sounds. When the new hard drive was installed I must have lost some functionality. I usually solve problems through trial and error so I can't tell you why or how I get things to work.
Score
January 23, 2010 10:27:12 PM

wa1 said:
Where did u plug that mouse/keyboard? USB or PS/2?
If it USB then u can try plug on the back of your case(integrated with motherboard).

thanks, I unplugged all usb devices and only plugged in the mouse/keyboard USB transmitter in the back, then restarted the computer, it worked. now i can't seem to get sound. I have a logitech surround sound system and all plugs are in correctly but i don't even get system sounds. When the new hard drive was installed I must have lost some functionality. I usually solve problems through trial and error so I can't tell you why or how I get things to work.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 24, 2010 3:43:52 AM

Check the audio settings in windows and the audio drivers.

What did they do when your new hd was installed? Clean install of windows on that drive? Or is it used as a storage drive and the older drive it still running the OS?

Run windows update and see if has any driver updates for the system on it. If not you will have to look up the drivers yourself.
January 31, 2010 5:04:01 PM

thanks to all for your help, I utililized multiple suggestions and got things working ok.
Score
February 7, 2010 12:15:08 AM

Best answer selected by pcd1027.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
February 7, 2010 12:31:39 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!