Keyboard & mouse not recognized

pcd1027

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Had computer in shop and after they installed a new hard drive and power supply it worked fine there. when i set it up at home the keyboard and mouse weren't recognized. i unplugged both, checked batteries, changed keyboard and mouse with older ones but nothing. had to keep hitting restart button to restart and a window popped up wanting to install video stream. without a working keyboard or mouse I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. i won't be able to return the CPU to the shop until Monday and they already had it for 12 days telling me the registry was corrupted/bloated and it needed a new hard drive & p/s. they built it for me 4 years ago and i've had very few problems. any suggestions?

adamomatic19

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Try reinstalling the drivers. ofc you will need to use another mouse and keyboard, i dont see why the registry would corrupt unless you did numerous incorrect shutdowns, or messed with it, u can pick up a cheap mouse or keyboard from most places that sell electricals for like less then £10 for both, or lend it off a friend, if that isnt working then maybe ur USB ports have had it ....

registry should not the problem because when your using a computer in DOS the keyboard doesnt have registry as the GUI is not there ....

G

Cannot reinstall (or INSTALL for that matter) anything without an operational keyboard and mouse. Obviously unable to get to the registry either.