New Processor FX-6100: Overclocking Help

i Just bought my replacement core parts.
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
AMD FX-6100
4GB Corsair Vengence (2x2GB) 1600Mhz DDR3
600w Cool max PSU
Parts soon to be replaced.
Nvidia GeForce 210
DVD Drive
i'd like to overclock it for better preformance but nothing over the top.
I have a cooler master 430 case with 4 fans and the stock heat sink.
23 answers Last reply
More about processor 6100 overclocking help
  1. There's a good basic guide on our forum. Read it then post any doubts so that we call help you
  2. the FX-6100 is easy, you can overclock to 4.0ghz on stock voltage no problem. I've reached 4.7ghz stable but I leave it at 4.3ghz for everyday use. I got 4.3ghz with 200mhz x 21.5 multiplier at 1.375volts. Do not adjust your voltage unless you have an aftermarket cooler. And if you dont know what these numbers I stated mean please read one of Tom's overclocking guides to familiarize yourself with the necessary terminology. Good luck!
  3. stickg1 said:
    the FX-6100 is easy, you can overclock to 4.0ghz on stock voltage no problem. I've reached 4.7ghz stable but I leave it at 4.3ghz for everyday use. I got 4.3ghz with 200mhz x 21.5 multiplier at 1.375volts. Do not adjust your voltage unless you have an aftermarket cooler. And if you dont know what these numbers I stated mean please read one of Tom's overclocking guides to familiarize yourself with the necessary terminology. Good luck!

    do i do this from the m.i.t. bios, easy tune 6, or amd overdrive?
  4. akxpckwb said:
    There's a good basic guide on our forum. Read it then post any doubts so that we call help you

    can u post a link here for me?
  5. m.i.t. In bios
  6. oh umm. i just did a stress test on my newly overclocked cpu and this happened.
    [Sat Apr 14 11:41:41 2012]
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4921875, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
    what does it mean?
  7. burstfyre20 said:
    oh umm. i just did a stress test on my newly overclocked cpu and this happened.
    [Sat Apr 14 11:41:41 2012]
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4921875, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
    what does it mean?


    9 times out of 10 that's your memory failing. Doesn't mean it's bad memory, it does mean that the timings are not set correctly. Do you have the timings set on auto? Please give me a link to your exact memory and also download CPU-Z and tell me what it says about your memory in the 'SPD tab'. I can help you better knowing this information.
  8. stickg1 said:
    9 times out of 10 that's your memory failing. Doesn't mean it's bad memory, it does mean that the timings are not set correctly. Do you have the timings set on auto? Please give me a link to your exact memory and also download CPU-Z and tell me what it says about your memory in the 'SPD tab'. I can help you better knowing this information.

    i believe i do have the timing set to auto.
    according to CPU-Z....
    type: ddr3 channels#:dual
    size:8192MBytes dc mode:greyed out
    NB frequency:2013.5MHz
    timings:
    DRAM Frequency: 671.1MHz
    FSB:DRAM: 3:10
    CAS#Latency(CL): 9.0Clocks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 9Clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP): 9Clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS): 24Clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 34Clock
    eveything else under it is grayed out.
  9. oh i forgot the SPD tab
    Frequency 444MHz :592MHz:666MHz:800MHz
    CAS# Latency 6.0 :8.0 :9.0 :9.0
    RAS# to CAS# 6 :8 :9 :9
    RAS# Precharge 6 :8 :9 :9
    tRAS 16 : 22 :24 :24
    tRC 23 :30 :34 :41
    Command Rate : : :2T
    Voltage 1.50V :1.50V :1.50V :1.500V
  10. burstfyre20 said:
    oh i forgot the SPD tab
    Frequency 444MHz :592MHz:666MHz:800MHz
    CAS# Latency 6.0 :8.0 :9.0 :9.0
    RAS# to CAS# 6 :8 :9 :9
    RAS# Precharge 6 :8 :9 :9
    tRAS 16 : 22 :24 :24
    tRC 23 :30 :34 :41
    Command Rate : : :2T
    Voltage 1.50V :1.50V :1.50V :1.500V


    Did you change your reference clock or did you adjust the multiplier to overclock? If you use only the multiplier you should be fine

    In BIOS go to DRAM Timings. Set command rate to 2T (Later you can try 1T once you get stability). Then set your RAM to DDR3-1600 and use those timings in the chart. If you can't find the number in the chart (there will be about 12 to 15 timings) just set it to auto. Only set the timings you have in the chart. Then retry stability test.
  11. stickg1 said:
    Did you change your reference clock or did you adjust the multiplier to overclock? If you use only the multiplier you should be fine
    no i didn't torch the dram settings in the mit bios.
    In BIOS go to DRAM Timings. Set command rate to 2T (Later you can try 1T once you get stability). Then set your RAM to DDR3-1600 and use those timings in the chart. If you can't find the number in the chart (there will be about 12 to 15 timings) just set it to auto. Only set the timings you have in the chart. Then retry stability test.

    well according to the bios it is set like u said.
  12. burstfyre20 said:


    Those pictures didn't work. Try using imageshack or something. What are your overclock settings and what is the RAM voltage?
  13. lol i completely for got that my corsair vengence ram had a preset default for its overclocking settings called profile 1.
    i reseted the setting with that and then tried another stress test and it passed.
  14. oh hey and where did you get your sig from or did you just type it in?
  15. burstfyre20 said:
    lol i completely for got that my corsair vengence ram had a preset default for its overclocking settings called profile 1.
    i reseted the setting with that and then tried another stress test and it passed.


    :lol: well glad you got it sorted out. I just typed it in under profile > forum options > signature
  16. by the way the CPU-ID in your sig was taken when the CPU was in an idle state and it shows you at 1400mhz which isn't very impressive looking. lol, its hard to get an accurate CPU-ID validation with the FX unless you do it while you have the CPU under load.
  17. stickg1 said:
    by the way the CPU-ID in your sig was taken when the CPU was in an idle state and it shows you at 1400mhz which isn't very impressive looking. lol, its hard to get an accurate CPU-ID validation with the FX unless you do it while you have the CPU under load.

    yea i guess it is, its also pretty hard to read.
    BTW: has prime95 been know to give false readings on some systems?
  18. burstfyre20 said:
    yea i guess it is, its also pretty hard to read.
    BTW: has prime95 been know to give false readings on some systems?


    Very rarely. Prime95 is about finding 100% rock solid stability. Prime might fail a core or two sometimes but if you never even ran prime you could have a computer run for years with no problems. It pushes your CPU to full capacity for an extended period of time and that's where little hiccups come out into the open.
  19. I have a 6100 running a 4ghz stable. In order to get it past 3.8 I had to up my voltage slightly. With stock voltage at 4ghz prime95 failed after about 8 hours. I upped the voltage to 1.35 I believe and Prime95 ran for more than 14 hours with no errors. Havent had any stability issues at all since upping the voltage. Also manually set your ram timings according to specs.
  20. is it the cpu voltage setting in the bios you change ?

    i cant get mine over 3.9ghz without blue screening. tried a proven setting on same mobo and chip as mine and still blue screened in prime 95 or not boot at all sometimes .

    running gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 with fx6100 . what is the setting's name ?

    have all cool n quiet off ect as well.. stumped
  21. You need to raise the voltage. Try bumping it up to 1.40v. Actually before doing that, what type of CPU cooling do you have?
  22. i also plan on overclocking my cpu i have the same and i want to overclock to atleast 4.0ghz or even 4.3ghz and when i started reading the comments when stickg1 was the third comment would those settings work for my cpu? i have a gigabyte 970a-d3 coolermaster hyper 212+ and corsair vengeance 1866mhz ram. if you see this stick will it work?
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD Overclocking