Best processor besides core i7 for CPU intensive programs

Hello,
I have been searching in the forums for advice on CPU for video editing/programming/ripping/graphics editing, etc and the consensus is Core i7's but I cant afford that right now. Would one of the Core i5 series or Phenom II X4 965 would be the next best thing?
9 answers Last reply
More about best processor core intensive programs
  1. Core i5 all the way
  2. Next step down would be the i5 and the phenom II 955/965. If those are still to costly you could go down to the lower clocked phenom IIs. Below that is the athlon II x4 quad core.
  3. the i7 is about 50% faster than the Phen II x4 for heavily multi-threaded apps
  4. Kewlx25 said:
    the i7 is about 50% faster than the Phen II x4 for heavily multi-threaded apps

5. i said "heavily" multi threaded apps for a reason... not games.

you should see the i7 vs AMD on server end apps where there's tons of multi-threading. it gets wasted.
  6. hi
    as far as i know if u want to buy a cpu for work other than gaming, and no core i7 then go for a xeon. i think it will work just fine for your tasks. hope i helped
  7. cant beat intel for video work . AMD tries but its just not ballzee enough
  8. lordszone said:
    hi
    as far as i know if u want to buy a cpu for work other than gaming, and no core i7 then go for a xeon. i think it will work just fine for your tasks. hope i helped

Which Xeon do you suggest? Something like Xeon X3440 Lynnfield 2.53GHz?
  9. Cryslayer80 said:

Why are you face palming at this claim? From a pure empirical standpoint he is bang on (assuming the context of this claim which does indicate heavily multi threaded environments).
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7