Sign in with
Your question

Cannot Boot with HDMI plugged in (Dell Studio/ATI 4350)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2009 1:38:11 PM

I purchased a Dell Slim Studio 540 in June 2009 running Vista Home Premium with an ATI 4350 and BIOS version 1.0.2. I have a DVI connection from the 4350 to the Dell VGA monitor (using a DVI-to-VGA cable) and an HDMI connection to my Panasonic 46" HDTV.

The PC will boot with the HDMI unplugged. If I plug in the HDMI after Vista starts, the VGA display will mirror onto the Panasonic. But the PC will not boot if the HDMI is plugged during the boot cycle. The PC will also not boot if the VGA is unplugged and the HDMI is plugged in.

I read about a BIOS fix in version 1.1.3 for a different Dell model, but I don't know if the fix applies to the Studio 540 and ATI 4350. Neither Dell support nor AMD support had any ideas on how to solve this problem.
May 5, 2010 1:32:04 PM

I was researching this to fix the same problem with a MSI Radeon R4350 on a Dell Inspiron 530. There was a pointer on a thread that noted that the HDMI for some reason acts like a USB connection and suggested removing USB booting from the BIOS. So I removed USB as a boot option and now I can boot the Windows Vista system with the HDMI cable connected.
May 5, 2010 1:35:29 PM

paladin42 said:
I was researching this to fix the same problem with a MSI Radeon R4350 on a Dell Inspiron 530. There was a pointer on a thread that noted that the HDMI for some reason acts like a USB connection and suggested removing USB booting from the BIOS. So I removed USB as a boot option and now I can boot the Windows Vista system with the HDMI cable connected.

You know, i never would have thought of that at all

Good answer

Learned something new :D 

Uber
!