• Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 30, 2011 5:46:42 AM

Hello,
what are the differences between hard drives and disks

More about : differences hard drives disks

a c 415 G Storage
September 30, 2011 6:24:20 AM

The two terms are often used interchangeably, but "disks" is a bit more generic and can also refer to removable media such as CDs, DVDs, and BluRay (and in the old days, floppies).
m
l
September 30, 2011 10:37:29 AM

Both work in the same manner, except one that on can hold more information as compared to other.

m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b G Storage
September 30, 2011 12:27:34 PM

American English vs English English?

I was just joking. No difference what so ever. Although you often see "HDD" used in this forum because it is much faster to type the abreviation.
m
l
a c 459 G Storage
September 30, 2011 9:03:40 PM

Depending on the context, "disk" can also mean "platter".

Therefore a hard drive can have one or more disks (or discs).
m
l
September 30, 2011 11:39:41 PM

Well, I had british english in my school and I think they will write disc with a "c". That time computer was not popular though. Americans write it with a "k" isn't it ?
m
l
October 1, 2011 3:17:39 AM

meh, im gonna put in my 2 cents

a CD is that cool little round thing that you put in a slot

a Hardrive, the just of it is.. its basicaly a round metal disk that spins reeeallly fast and stores magnetic information
m
l
October 1, 2011 5:41:08 AM

nna2 said:
meh, im gonna put in my 2 cents

a CD is that cool little round thing that you put in a slot

a Hardrive, the just of it is.. its basicaly a round metal disk that spins reeeallly fast and stores magnetic information

@nna2 You sir, are being quite rude. I think it would of been better for everyone if you didn't make that post. Just putting in "my 2 cents".

@Albino Hard drives are also referred to as HDD - they are the most common and economical internal storage solution today. They differ from discs [i.e CD/DVD/Blu-ray] as they are a form of optical media and requires the right hardware to be played. All discs can be physically mounted and removed (assuming you have the right hardware, i.e CD rom, DVD drive, blu-ray drive, etc).

~Coffee

m
l