Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will DDR2 last me 3 years

Last response: in Memory
Share
May 7, 2010 9:41:11 PM

I'm building a cheap gaming rig, and dont think I can afford either a DDR3 motherboard or DDR3 Ram. I already have DDR2 Ram to go into my new system, and I'm not wanting to upgrade my system for 3 years or so ( Bar maybe graphics)

I will have either a phenom x 4 955 BE 3.2Ghz or a Phenom x6 1055T 2.8Ghz (not decided yet)
and crossfire HD5670's

Will having 4GB of DDR2 Ram bottleneck my system at all do you think? Thanks

More about : ddr2 years

May 7, 2010 9:57:56 PM

So you have the ram already? I don't think it will be too terrible, so long as you have low latency. If you don't already have the ram, I would cut to the 955 and use the extra toward ddr3. Actually, I would get the 955 anyway. It is a better processor for gaming.
May 7, 2010 10:01:12 PM

elel said:
So you have the ram already? I don't think it will be too terrible, so long as you have low latency. If you don't already have the ram, I would cut to the 955 and use the extra toward ddr3. Actually, I would get the 955 anyway. It is a better processor for gaming.


Yeh Im just using the Ram out of my old computer, cant really afford to get DDR3, as Long as I'm not left to short by it, I'm not an uber gamer, just want a decent upgrade. Other people on Toms hardware have said to get the 6core. I really dont know, why is the 955 better for gaming might I ask?
Related resources
May 7, 2010 10:22:36 PM

Higher clock. The core count doesn't matter so much in most games, though if the one you are thinking of is supposed to take advantage of lots of cores by all means go for it. Also, if you are using some well threaded editing apps (photo, video) it would be a good buy. The ram shouldn't be that much trouble. I'm still using ddr2 800 with no trouble, though that doesn't mean too much since I still have an original phenom x3 also. I'd say that overall your build sounds pretty good, especially if you intend to just get a new system when this one's done.
May 7, 2010 11:11:29 PM

Get the 1055T. 6 cores 2.8 GHZ (3.3 GHZ when gaming (it overclocks by 500 MHZ on 3 cores)) WAY LOW TEMPS with stock Heatsink, OC'S easily.

Math wise $50 extra for about 20%-40% more performance.

Some benchmarks show 1055T being almost as fast (sometimes faster) than Intel's I7 line. Google "1055T 3dmark"
May 7, 2010 11:51:21 PM

I don't accept 3dmark as a terribly good representation of what you will find in the 'real world'. However, on reviewing the reviews, it looks like for everything except crysis either should be fine, and maybe more cores is the way to go for a 3 year system.
May 8, 2010 7:42:10 AM

elel said:
I don't accept 3dmark as a terribly good representation of what you will find in the 'real world'. However, on reviewing the reviews, it looks like for everything except crysis either should be fine, and maybe more cores is the way to go for a 3 year system.


Thank you for the reply, I think that is the way that I will go then... going from 2 cores to 6 =D
May 8, 2010 7:43:30 AM

chaosgs said:
Get the 1055T. 6 cores 2.8 GHZ (3.3 GHZ when gaming (it overclocks by 500 MHZ on 3 cores)) WAY LOW TEMPS with stock Heatsink, OC'S easily.

Math wise $50 extra for about 20%-40% more performance.

Some benchmarks show 1055T being almost as fast (sometimes faster) than Intel's I7 line. Google "1055T 3dmark"


To what frequency do you reckon I could OC then. Im getting a very cool antec 900 case that will keep the CPU cool?
May 8, 2010 12:35:02 PM

It more depends on the cpu cooler, though you are right that a case with good airflow is important as well. I have seen reviews where they got it up to 4 Ghz on air, though I'm not sure how much of a load that will put on your power supply.
!