Sign in with
Your question

GA-880GM-UD2H problems... frustrating!! (take 2)

Last response: in Motherboards
May 7, 2010 10:45:50 PM

I have the GA-880GM-UD2H board

(hit the wrong button see below)
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 7, 2010 11:00:37 PM

Congratulations![:jaydeejohn:4]
May 7, 2010 11:55:42 PM

Oh, I tried the load optimized in the BIOS first.
Related resources
May 7, 2010 11:56:44 PM

Ok, try again :D 

I have
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H board
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8Ghz CPU
Corsair Dominator PC10666 RAM - 4GB, (2x2GB) DDR3, 1333MHz, Dual Path, Dual Channel TW3X4G1333C9D
Ultra LSP 750watt power supply
WD 500gig drive
LG DVD writer

I installed windows 7 fine. It will boot to the OS when first powered up.
But when I reboot or enter the BIOS and exit or press the reset button, all I get is 4 long and 1 short beeps, no video.
The only way to restart is to switch off the power supply at the back for 5 seconds then back on.

Does anyone know what might be going on?
May 8, 2010 12:32:58 AM

Did you get your fix on this product? I was considering purchasing the same setup kit but have yet to find any real reviews on the mobo :p 
May 8, 2010 12:33:32 AM

not yet, just posted a few minutes ago. It was from TigerDirect.
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 8, 2010 12:51:50 AM

Sounds like a good 'parts collection'; what do you have in in the way of USB devices? Can you post both a CPU-Z main and memory page?
May 8, 2010 9:03:39 PM

Definitly a reboot results in the beep code. In and out of BIOS = beep code.
A shut down (from windows) then power up (from front button) , it booted up OK.

PS/2 Keyboard
USB mouse
thats it, I'm leaning toward a power supply problem, what do you think?
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 8, 2010 11:39:23 PM

Looking at the screens, first I gotta say: "awesome!!" Then, I'm laughing[:jaydeejohn:4][:jaydeejohn:4][:jaydeejohn:4]

I'm pretty sure I know what your problem is:

you're waiting for, my guess, about three BIOS revisions!

New tech blues: new chipset + massively new 'rearchitected' CPU = totally unknown initialization beep code + lots & lots of guys, at GB and Award, eating pizza & scratching heads 24/7 for the next four months!!
May 9, 2010 3:16:54 AM

Well I hope thats the case. Just have to wait and see, for now its usable. Thanks for the help.

"awesome!!" I'll say, Holy S..T!
look at this

encoded a whole DVD in less than 20 minutes, the old system I have would have taken over 2 hours.
(hope you can see that image)

Whole system was $552 (I'm a cheap ass!)
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 9, 2010 3:30:33 PM

Even more awesome! Points out two things: I gots to git me a copy of handbrake; and you gots to send a 'bug report' to GB tech support regarding this peculiarity; my guess, similar reports get to some unknown by mortals 'threshold number' - when the folder gets to the size where it will make a dent in his head, they thow that at him, and lock him in a closet 'till it's fixed...
May 10, 2010 2:29:58 AM

Set the first display device to "Onboard".
Set the onboard VGA "Always Enable".
Both items in BIOS.
May 13, 2010 9:52:18 PM

prann said:

I have
Corsair Dominator PC10666 RAM - 4GB, (2x2GB) DDR3, 1333MHz, Dual Path, Dual Channel TW3X4G1333C9D
WD 500gig drive
LG DVD writer

But when I reboot or enter the BIOS and exit or press the reset button, all I get is 4 long and 1 short beeps, no video.
The only way to restart is to switch off the power supply at the back for 5 seconds then back on.

I have the same machine setup and the same problem. After 10 days of trying things, I isolated my problem to one of the Corsair memory sticks. THat stick will not work normally by itsself or with another stick in the machine. The other stick works fine by itsself. Unfortunately Tiger is out of stock on this memory......wonder why????????? They gave me an RMA top return this
memory and i'll go on their site or some place and buy 4gb of some other brank.
May 18, 2010 2:28:18 PM

stub1935 said:
I have the same machine setup and the same problem. After 10 days of trying things, I isolated my problem to one of the Corsair memory sticks. THat stick will not work normally by itsself or with another stick in the machine. The other stick works fine by itsself. Unfortunately Tiger is out of stock on this memory......wonder why????????? They gave me an RMA top return this
memory and i'll go on their site or some place and buy 4gb of some other brank.

I have had this same TD system for about a week running XP pro. It worked fine. Yesterday AM when I turned it on it gave 4 long beeps - not in the user manual of course - and wouldn't boot. A google search led me here, I read your post and pulled the corsair mem sticks and tried them one at a time. It booted using either one of the sticks but not both. I called TD, they referred me to gigabyte. A gigabyte tech had me change the bios from F4 to F5. He said the F4 bios did not support the AMD 6 core processor. It would have been nice to have a heads up about this from TD, but it just isn't a perfect world. Now it boots! Yay!
May 27, 2010 12:07:24 PM

Yes, I'm not sure anyone got defective RAM, but that Corsair model is incompatible with the motherboard. After talking to Gigabyte, went out and got G.Skill RAM and all is good. Returned the Corsair to TD. Do ya think TigerDirect assembles the parts and tests it out before selling it as a bundle?
June 2, 2010 8:40:23 AM

How do you switch from the IGP to a stand alone GPU? Thanks
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 2, 2010 12:43:47 PM

On the " IGX Confguration" sub-page of the BIOS (you can get there from either the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" or the "Advanced BIOS Features" main pages...):

"Internal Graphics Mode" to "Disabled"
"UMA Frame Buffer Size" to "Auto"
"Surround View" to "Disabled"

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"Init Display First" to "PEG"

<F10> to save, exit, and reboot - and you should be good to install drivers for your new card!

June 8, 2010 5:32:24 AM

i have this board as well i got the tiger direct 6 core kit as well . so far i have the stupid 4 beeps and have f6 bios the newest one and still nothing . pc works fine if i dont try to reset it .

if i have 1 stick of the corsair dominator ram in it works fine with everything . but if i add the other stick it does not matter were i put it the pc just does the beeps .

one of my sticks seems to be no good i think ? i marked 1 that causes trouble and pc will not reset if that 1 is in any slot . the one that is not marked causes no trouble in any slot i put it in whole pc works flawless with that stick.

EITHER :

1 ) theres a needed update

or

2) dominator sticks are shipping out with 1 bad stick

has anyone called corsair ?

and will tiger direct replace this ram if i say its bad ? maybe give me a equal different brand ?
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 6:37:40 PM

See Memory - Part IV - "Tweaking and tuning" (work sill in progress...) in the Memtest Techniques: section, near the middle, is a tutorial on getting MemTest and preparing it; at the bottom is a Memtest Useage: section, with a 'Hunting down' a bad DIMM: entry - should help you verify if, and which, stick is defective...
June 8, 2010 10:07:35 PM

prann what g skill ram did you get ?

anyone got any good ram choices ? im getting 141 bucks back i think if i decide to rma this ram .

i want something close to or better to what these dominators do
June 9, 2010 1:37:18 AM

G.Skill model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO
If you go to the gigabyte site for the motherboard, under downloads there is a list of compatible memory.
It was the only type on the list that was at my local store and was cheaper @ $127
June 9, 2010 3:07:26 AM

thats only 1.35 v ram i thought some said this board has issues with things under 1.6 v ?

i was looking at this ram :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

look good ? its under compatible list .

i hope ram is the issue ill see memtest results lator tomarow ima let it run for a bit.

memtest will definitely tell if ram is no good right ? if nothing comes back than its prob jut not compatible ?
June 9, 2010 3:43:48 AM

oh and i looked at the list from gigabyte and it says this above all memory lists :

DDR3 2300 (downgrade to DDR3 1800 Only support DIMM3,DIMM4)

whats that mean ? you have to downgrade memory in bios to 1800 mhz ?
June 11, 2010 8:30:27 PM

i contacted gigabyte and they have found the issue to be with the dominator ram . they explaind it runs a lower voltage i swapped out for some patriot ddr 3 ram specs are very much the same and its cheaper-

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

ill let you all know how it works out when new ram gets here !!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2010 7:25:05 PM

nickelz34 said:
i contacted gigabyte and they have found the issue to be with the dominator ram . they explaind it runs a lower voltage i swapped out for some patriot ddr 3 ram specs are very much the same and its cheaper-

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

ill let you all know how it works out when new ram gets here !!

What happened in the end? I've got massive problems with the same motherboard and a single 1333 MHz RAM from Team Elite and wonder if buying a new RAM (or rather a set of 2) will help at all.
October 16, 2011 8:05:55 PM

prann said:
Yes, I'm not sure anyone got defective RAM, but that Corsair model is incompatible with the motherboard. After talking to Gigabyte, went out and got G.Skill RAM and all is good. Returned the Corsair to TD. Do ya think TigerDirect assembles the parts and tests it out before selling it as a bundle?

Not unless they build the box for you!... all parts come 'in piece'. I gave up on them though, I now use Directron.com, P.S. I think the problem you are having is the WIN7. I have the MoBo with a 6-coreAMD but my problem is the darn sound drivers... I disconnect a cable and and reinsert it and no sound I wind up re-installing the driver for the Realtek HD sound... bummer.
March 3, 2012 5:39:24 PM

prann said:

I have
WD 500gig drive
LG DVD writer

I had the exact same problem where if I reboot it would not power up. I had to power off on the back of my power supply and ON before the motherboard would power up. I was asked to match the RAM voltage, I matched it and the reboot problem seems to have gone but I also have a usb problem. Anytime I insert a usb key or drive it reboots and sometimes I see the blue screen of death. I have win7.
June 27, 2014 6:19:59 PM

Hey Prann. I had a similar issue and I realized I was using an outdated Bios firmware (F4) which does not support the AMD hex core processor. Hit the Gigabyte webpage and make sure you have the latest update, be sure you download the one specifically for your revision which can be found on the back left hand side of the motherboard below the PCI express slot. Hope this helps anyone having similar issues. :D 
!