Sign in with
Your question

Monitor blinks when playing game

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2009 3:11:28 PM

Hi. I have recently just bought a new PC and have been having this problem since day 1. The problem starts whenever I try to play games. Games that I have try to play are Aion(online mmorp), Far Cry, Call of Duty: Modern Warface 1 and 2, Counter Strike and X-Blade. About 5-10secs after tha game start, my monitor will start blinking. It will eventually gets worst and start to blink so fast it is just impossible to play at all. Sometimes the monitor will just loses signal. When I play Aion, I have to use window mode and change the size to the smallest to be able to play but still blinks once in a while. Occasionally, whenever I start my game, my wireless internet will get disconnected. My speakers also make squeaky sound when I don't have any music, movie or games on. The louder I turn on the speaker, the louder the squealing sound gets (I am telling about my internet and speaker just incase it has something to do with the problem). I am currently using a HDMI cable to connect my PC to monitor. My resolution is 1920 x 1080 @ 60HZ. I have tried changing to all sort of resolution and refresh rate but that doesn't make the problem go away. I have also tried using VGA cable to connect but that doesn't help too. I am totally out of idea now what to do now. Anyone have any idea what is wrong wit my PC? Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

Below is my monitor and PC specs:

Samsung Syncmaster HD2333 LCD DTV Monitor

Asus P5KPL-AM Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz CPU
Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz Ram
Samsung EcoGreen F2 1000GB SATAII 32MB Cache 1000Gb 7200rpm Hard Drive
LiteOn 20x DVD±RW Dual Layer & Ram IDE Black Bare Drive
Sapphire HD 4850 GDDR3 HDMI DVI VGA PCI-E Graphics Card
Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card
550W Power Supply (No idea what brand it is)
a b C Monitor
November 15, 2009 1:53:45 AM

Have u tried to test with another LCD?
Your system is good.
If your problem still occur then try with different vga and see what happened...
November 15, 2009 3:36:34 AM

Yes. I have tried on 3 different monitors and it is still the same. I tried it on 2 LCD and 1 CRT monitor. Any other idea what is wrong with my PC? Some help would be grateful. Thanks in advance again for any help.
Related resources
a b C Monitor
November 15, 2009 7:09:56 AM

maybe it's your vga...
try to switch with another card and see where it goes..
November 15, 2009 7:27:12 AM

If you only see the problem when playing games then it is most likely a graphics card or power supply issue. if you can swap one or both out I would try that. Also check you GPU temps and maybe get a power supply tester and check your power rails.
November 15, 2009 11:49:07 AM

Ok. Will try out what you guys said and will let you all know the outcome. Thanks :) 
November 16, 2009 2:10:32 AM

Hi guys. Thanks for the help. I think the graphics card is faulty. Just tried it on my friend's high end PC and it is still the same. It still blink like crazy when we played game on it. Will be getting it change. Thanks again.
a b C Monitor
November 16, 2009 7:48:23 AM

rma your card so u could get a new one...
4850 is a great card, i have one... :) 
November 16, 2009 9:35:43 AM

Yap. I totally agree that it is a really good card for its price. I will be getting the card change for a new one as it is still on warranty :) 
!