Sign in with
Your question

Your worst computer mistakes

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2009 11:37:18 AM

I thought i would see if i can start this back up since the last one ended in 2006 iv looked around and couldnt see any thread on this topic (sorry if i missed one)
to start of heres mine.

my maint screw up happend when i tried to build my first computer earlier this year i had mannaged to put some money togeather to buy everything exept the monitor seeing as i already had a working 1.

i spent around £300 on it all togeather and thought i knew alot more than i did.
i was looking at my motherboard late a night while on the phone and somehow managed to bend 1 of the pins n the cpu slot :??:  . next day i got my grand dad to try and unbend it ( he was the only one around me at the time and it seemed to have been fixed but it got much worse than that.

i tried to add the cpu it wasnt very good it was a duo core pentium i think so i sloted it in made sure it was the correct way in and tried to get the heat sink/fan in it was one of the ones where you need to press down all for sides and no matter what happend i couldnt get it in and since i was no where near a internet conection i yet again asked my grand dad to have ago.

eventualy he got it in and i decided to start working on it i decided to try the ram and wouldnt you know it i had the wrong type several days later after sending them back to amazon well most of them i got a refund i had put it togeather and at that golden moment it didnt work...

needless to say i trouble shooted it and came to the conclusion that the atx cable which had 4 pins wasnt any good (because my mb had 8 holes and the manual sugested using all 8)
i went to a pc shop and he ordered me what he said was a 8 pin cable that would work i tested it out and it didnt work :fou:  .

at this point i was angry because just spent money on a cable that didint work common sence kicking in i took it to enougher pc repair store and asked em to try and fix it but first they asked me the rutine questons eventualy leading up to the cpu they took 1 out to show me it and make sure it was in the right way and horrors releaf i noticed that the plastic casing was still on the bottem :p 

well i didnt have time to fix it my self and left it with the pc store came back and it turned out that when they turned it on the power suply smoked and they turned it of that didnt sound good they told me the heatsink was broken and the sold me a new 1 when i got home i tried a new power suply a 750 watt it killed it to :heink: 

i went back and asked them too look again and it turned out the 8 pin atx cable was actuly a graphics card connector and had shorted out the whole pc :o 

the pc never booted and so i went back to my old pc and put in my hard drive and it wouldnt turn on (i was using my 750 watt power suply before knowing it broke i bought a new one and it turned on for 2 seconds and went of ii trouble shooted it and descoved that that pc that broke my 2 power suplys hadnt stoped there it had killed my 1tb hard drive :cry:  :cry:  took it out and was working fine exept for the sata port that the hard drive had broke off the mb :p 

lesson learned allways take the plastic off :D 
November 7, 2009 12:09:41 PM

Mine is a lot less embarrassing, but it's still stupid: I used to buy ready built pc's in the supermarket, believing I had a top notch gaming machine.

And another one a friend experienced: he recently told me quite proud he had a new pc, with 6GB of RAM. Knowing he wasn't the brightest one around, I asked what CPU he used. He said: 'a core2whatever or something. When I asked him if he knew these didn't support tripple channel memory, he replied 'of course I do, that's why I bought RAM sticks with a 2GB capacity rather than 3...'
November 7, 2009 12:30:11 PM

My worse PC mistake was during overclocking.

I was new to the OCing and I was trying to take a short cut because I couldn't get my Q6600 above 3.0 GHz. I Googled to see how to overclock the Q6600 on the motherboard I had. I found a thread were an OP had listed their direct motherboard settings at 3.4Ghz. I wrote them down and went into my BIOS and set them to the OP's setting. The PC fired up at 3.4 GHz just fine. It was the first time I was able to boot over 3.0GHz, so I was fired up. I went to run Prime95 to test my temps and after 5 seconds the PC shutdown. It would not restart, so I figured my PSU died. It acted similar to another time I had a PSU die on me.

I went to my local Microcenter to pick up a new PSU. I plug in the new PSU, started the PC backup, after resetting my CMOS, and puff a great big ball of smoke from my CPU area. I quickly shut everything down. By the end of the process, I had blown my original PSU, MOBO and CPU by taking a shortcut in OCing. I had overvolted my MOBO and it took the other two items with it. My lession learned is take baby steps in OCing and not go from 2.4 to 3.4 with no steps in between. Not every CPU / MOBO will overclock the same.
Related resources
November 7, 2009 12:36:46 PM

iv yet to over clock somthing now i know why :( 
November 7, 2009 1:03:50 PM

I have been (thankfully) lucky enough to yet await my first major computer mistake. Hopefully it will never happen but if it does, i'll post it here lol :) 
November 7, 2009 1:34:53 PM

The computer was on and i was eating fruits(you might no what happened from here). i wondered how inside looked. so i opened the case that had SKREWS, wasted my time, and it was confusing all cables, hot and wierd. i didnt know anything about computers back then. but then the watermelon, god damn watermelon, why was it the watermelon. if it was a apple it would been better. the WATERMELON JUICE WENT ALL OVER THE MOTHERBOARD.:o  I WAS LITERALLY SMASHED BY MY DAD.
November 7, 2009 3:24:39 PM

i built a mid range high end pc about 2 mnths ago...one night my wife moved the mouse and the computer switched on...i could not be arsed to move ...so i told her to switch it off from the power switch on the case...i'ts now been 2 weeks and i still cant get it to work...i get no display although all fans are spinning and power is ru nning through it...
moral of the story ...always switch off ure pc from the start menu...even if u cant be arsed...:( 
November 7, 2009 8:41:38 PM

I was building a new computer a few years ago and had JUST got my case... Put in my $300 motherboard, but forgot to install the standoffs. It smoked like you wouldn't believe :( 
November 7, 2009 9:11:13 PM

Buying a Gigabyte Motherboard and buying an AMD cpu with no stock Heat sink... I am telling you... no heat sink included for god sake... WTH WAS THAT!?
November 7, 2009 9:12:07 PM

Long haired cat was brushing against my leg the whole time I was building a computer in a rather dry room. When I plugged one of the RAM chips in, I got a static shock from hell. That was the end of that memory, and the slot I was plugging it into.
November 7, 2009 9:39:35 PM

can't say i have any horror stories, i should since my first computer was put together on a carpet
November 7, 2009 9:41:31 PM

talk about a recipe for desastor (:
November 7, 2009 10:01:18 PM

I recently had my daughter calling me saying her computer was shutting down and not starting up,I went over the checked her temps, made sure the memory and drives were secure and started it up, i started running a virus scan, and it shuts off, I give her this long speech about surfing responsibly, and not downloading stuff, by this time after it had restarted and finished a scan, I noticed that it was clean,do a defrag thats good, restart it, it shuts down, I open the case again to maybe see if the power supply is overheating, I pull the 24 pin, and it just comes off, last time when i worked on her computer i put it on, and didnt snap it, so each little movement could shut it down. Needless to say her mom made me apologize to her
November 7, 2009 10:04:50 PM

I also erased a dell on time by working on it when i came home 3 oclock in the morning drunk, hit ctrl f-11 instead of f8 and it took the system back to factory default,lost over 5000 songs and my freespace 2 saved games
November 8, 2009 7:55:58 AM

haha. i haven't done anything really bad, but my brother has :S
he thought he knew about computers, and firstly bout a quad-core q6600 with ddr3 mobo, with ddr2 ram....this was also a gaming computer, and he bought a 8600gt...that's the funny part. also bought a dodgy

what comes next is just stupid:
he install the mobo, put the cpu in, sticks heatsink on top (without paste). installs everything else. starts it up. overheats. checks fans- working properly. starts again, overheats. continues this for a while, probably frying his cpu all the time. then decided it aint work, so we drop it into the computer place.

$18 aud for cpu paste = ripoff, but at least it works now
November 8, 2009 11:12:29 AM

installing a hd4890 to a micro atx board wearing the grounding strap mind you. I actually heard what static electricity sounded like when my finger brushed the sound card. I'm just happy it was an old mobo.
November 8, 2009 11:46:12 AM

I havent had any hardware problems thank god (only built 2 pc's). But I have had a few software problems. The worst one was on my dad's new computer that I built for him (GA-G31M-ES2L, E5200, 2gb DDR2) and I downloaded Roxio DLA cd burning software for him because he finds that the easiest to use. Once I finished installing it I had to restart the computer. Thats when the problem started.

It would get to the windows xp loading screen and just restart. I sat on that thing for 6 hours trying to find out the problem. I had to do a windows repair so I could get it to boot into windows, but then it wouldn't recognize any disk drives. Finally after hours and hours of googling and posting on here for help, I downloaded a hotfix off microsoft.com and it finally got it to work.

Turns out Roxio has problems with some anti-virus software (bitdefender 2009) and it can cause a whole lot of problems like I had. Of course I posted on toms throughout the fixing process and people were very helpful.
November 8, 2009 6:36:48 PM

Back in uni where I'm not really into computer hardware, been thinking to upgrade the RAM. Opened up the casing, try to unplug the RAM and have a look on them without realizing I'm on carpet floor during dry winter time.
Plug it back and found out my windows keep crashing. At the end I realized it was static issue which affecting my motherboard too.

At the end I replaced the whole motherboard and RAM.
Stupid mistake because I'm way too curious!!!
November 8, 2009 6:59:41 PM

Silmarunya said:
Mine is a lot less embarrassing, but it's still stupid: I used to buy ready built pc's in the supermarket, believing I had a top notch gaming machine.

And another one a friend experienced: he recently told me quite proud he had a new pc, with 6GB of RAM. Knowing he wasn't the brightest one around, I asked what CPU he used. He said: 'a core2whatever or something. When I asked him if he knew these didn't support tripple channel memory, he replied 'of course I do, that's why I bought RAM sticks with a 2GB capacity rather than 3...'

lol they sell computers in supermarkets? i thought they only sell groceries..

nice story on your friend it's quite amusing
November 8, 2009 7:03:39 PM

Brentnauer said:
I was building a new computer a few years ago and had JUST got my case... Put in my $300 motherboard, but forgot to install the standoffs. It smoked like you wouldn't believe :( 

doesn't the case uplifts the motherboard so you don't need standoffs?
November 8, 2009 7:48:19 PM

not all motherboard trays in cases have builtin standoffs (they are completely flat and you need to install small hexigonal standoffs like my lian li case)
November 8, 2009 7:49:52 PM

paperfox said:
not all motherboard trays in cases have builtin standoffs (they are completely flat and you need to install small hexigonal standoffs like my lian li case)

i see..i didn't know because i only buy good cases so...
November 8, 2009 7:53:15 PM

accually i find that the cheap cases that i buy have built in standoffs where as the expensive cases you have to install the standoffs. but thats just what ive seen.
November 8, 2009 7:53:18 PM

i may have a new one comming in soon seeing as i got a graphics card with two power ports on it and only one 6 pin molex :p 
November 8, 2009 8:03:54 PM

master james 99 said:
i may have a new one comming in soon seeing as i got a graphics card with two power ports on it and only one 6 pin molex :p 

lol your video card won't work
November 10, 2009 3:40:50 PM

iv just noticed on that compouter build that didnt work i didnt install standoffs... :( 
November 10, 2009 9:26:15 PM

First mistake on my first DIY build: Forgot the stand offs.

Next mistake: Not backing up my most important projects,etc to DVD as my external HDD was dropped 2 floors down (my sister's fault :p  ).
!