treosforever

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Not entirely sure if this is the right section but here it goes anyway!

i have a gateway lx6810
Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz × 4
64-bit
8 gigs of ram
600 gig of HDS
Nvidia GT120

using windows 7 and ubuntu

Computer turns on for a little bit but then shuts off. Sometimes shortly afterwards, I'll try powering it on and it won't even power on or it will and not actually boot up. I tried several wall outlets and cleaned out my case from all the dust.

A few months ago I had a similar problem but it was due to the power supply, so i upgraded to a 750 watt (crossfire edition pc power and cooling)
and that solved my original power problem but this time is different.

Any suggestions?
A friend said it might be the thermal paste and I might have to re apply some?

1) that power supply is WAY overkill for this machine, a 300-400W would have done just fine
2) if you touch your CPU heat sink does it feel hot to the touch? or merely warm? those CPUs can operate just fine at 90*c (though not suggested, they will run correctly), and you will know by touching that heat sink if it is anywhere near that hot. When it is running does the air feel hot coming out the back and not merely warm?
3) In BIOS there may be a "PC Health" section which will let you know what the CPU temp is, and if it is anywhere near 80*c or above then a new coat of thermal paste could help, but I find this unlikely.

4) Check your Caps and see if they are good or bad: http://www.thenakedpc.com/dan/Bulging_Capacitors/index.html
Even if they are not bleeding out they are still bad if they are bulging upwards, and it only takes one to bring a whole system down, and it can cause intermittant issues like you are describing.

Most likely the problem is that it is a gateway and it is over 6mo old (gateway is not exactly known for putting out quality equipment and should be avoided from now on). If the parts are ATX standard (which they may or may not be) then you can get yourself a new mobo that is LGA775 compatible, and it will fix you. One of these should do the trick: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627+600007879+600009017&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=280&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc= and likely the sub$50 ones would do just fine so long as it has enough slots for your ram. Be aware that you may need to reinstall Windows to get it to work properly on a new mobo, so get your install/restore discs handy (you did make one right ;) ), or else be prepared to drop $100 on a copy of windows as well.

treosforever

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
The heat sink doesn't feel TOO HOT, nothing to be alarmed about. The air coming out of the back isn't hot or warm either. And no capacitors are bulging or exploded,. ALTHOUGH the graphics card IS HOT (out of all the components)

treosforever

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

stock but it's not hot...

treosforever

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Last night I put it to Hibernate and when I came back from work today I turned it on but the fan was on really loud and wouldn't boot up. I eventually was able to boot it after i switched it to another power outlet (I keep having to do that) and i installed hwmonitor.

So far here are the results (hasn't failed yet but will post when it does)

By floor fan you mean you have the side of the case open and it's blowing on the components right? Before I recommend on you buying a fan: make sure all your fans are running in the system, that all filters are clean(if you have them), and that your CPU is properly seated and fastened. On the new fan, are all your fan mounting spots currently in use for your case? If so another good way to increase airflow is a slot cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888309

you can install more than one slot cooler if you wish

Otherwise I would recommend a high volume fan(if your not too picky bout the noise)

Also check your fans and make sure you have at least one intake fan, preferably at the front. If not simply flip one round.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Unplug the power supply cable. Then press the power button (yes, I know the power cable is disconnected. This step discharges any residual power in the system). Wait 2-3 minutes. Reconnect the power cable and try again.

If this works (resetting the PSU), then it is time for a new power supply.

If this doesn't work, then let us know.

Good luck!

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
to answer your question about cooling, than water cooling is the way to go if you plan to get thows temps down on the GPU. (keep in mind that water cooling is not going to allow for high clocks on anything) . there are better cooling solutions, phase change being one of them, (as well as a whole lot more costume solutions) but the price for each of these just keeps going up. but water cooling is the easiest of these solutions to learn and understand. if you would like more on this please ask.