Distinguished
May 7, 2010
I just built a computer,

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
Intel Core 2 Quad
Thermaltake Element G case
Thermaltake 850w psu
xfx hd4650 video card

Put it all together, hit the power button and the case fans moved a little and the fan leds came on for a second. the cpu fan moved a little but it wont go any farther than that

Hi newcomer and welcome tot he Tom's hardware forum.

Check all the cables and connections, also check if the mobo is installed in the proper way, usually ur problems is because exist some short in the mobo with the case or another component.

scrumplepuff

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
everything is connected properly. my problem is that when the i/o panel is seated the mobo is lifted up so i cannot get the standoffs in the rear of the case the reach the case. i also do not seem to have enough connectors for the leads. i have one for the power switch, the reset switch, power led which are all connected but then i have another lead for the power led and power switch with no place to connect them. but the power switch works and as i said it kciks on but then shuts off and its not looping like i have seen happens to other people using this board

Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

Breadboard with just PSU (remember, main and CPU power plugs), motherboard, CPU & HSF, and the system speaker. You can turn on the system by momentarily shorting the two pins that the power switch header fits on.

You should hear long continuous beeps indicating a serious memory problem. (There's none installed remember?) If you get silence, one of the three components is bad.

You are hearing beeps, so this should pass.

Add a stick of RAM. (Oh, be sure that you power down between testing steps.) Boot. Pattern should change to the one long-two short beeps indicating that the memory is passing the basic BIOS memory test. Test each stick separately, then all together.

If all this passes, install the video card (remember the PCIe power plugs). You do not need to connect the monitor yet. Now you should hear the single short beep of a successful POST. Now you can connect the monitor. You will see a "Missing keyboard" message. Connect the keyboard and you will see a "No boot drive found" message.

Silence indicates that the video card is shorted or overloading the PSU and that the PSU is electronically shutting itself down (one of the benefits of using a high quality PSU such as Seasonic :)).

Long and short beeps indicate a problem with the video interface on either the motherboard or video card. Test the video card in the other PCIe slot. If it works there, your motherboard is bad.

If it doesn't work there, you have two choices. You can either test your card in a working system or plug a known good card into yours. Both alternatives present a small risk. There's a very small possibility that a bad GPU could destroy a good motherboard or a bad motherboard could destroy a good GPU.