Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I need some help OCing

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
March 21, 2012 12:00:32 AM

Hello good fellas. I would really need some help/advice with something regarding my computer. First of all here are my specs :

> Mainboard : ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH P67
> Chipset : Intel
> Processor : Intel Sandy Bridge @ 3503 MHz - it's a i7-2600
> Physical Memory : 16384 MB (4 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM )
> Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
> Hard Disk : OCZ-AGILITY2 (90 GB)
> Hard Disk : ST31000524AS (1000 GB)
> DVD-Rom Drive : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7261S ATA Device
> Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 22 inches
> Network Card
> Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (x64)
> DirectX : Version 11.00

So basicaly I went into my BIOS and in the EZ mode there was this option for "Max Performance", which should be some sort of AI Automatic OC. Well I went for it and now I'm getting errors for most of my programs.
I presume I should not stick with this AI OC so I would like to manually OC my system. But here is the point, I got close to no idea of what/how to do. I would really and greatly appreciate any suggestion and help. Also please feel free to ask for more info if needed.

More about : ocing

a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2012 12:47:58 AM

Whats your DIMM's specifications i.e. clockspeed and latency?
March 21, 2012 1:15:58 AM

I think I managed to get all the info in this SS compilation. If you need more please say. And very much thanks for the reply.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2012 1:20:57 AM

Your RAM speed is not listed in the compilation. It will be needed for us to help you OC this machine
March 21, 2012 1:24:13 AM

My RAM speed is 1600. I got the Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2012 1:42:50 AM

if you just bought your cpu return it and get a K version. it will make your life easier. btw you can only overclock to 3.8 and 4.2 turbo.
March 21, 2012 1:44:38 AM

No, it's like last summer old. And 3.8 and 4.2 turbo would be great for me as long as they are stable and don't give me errors all over the place like the AI OC is doing atm.
March 21, 2012 9:33:32 PM

Sorry if I seem hasty or anything that could seem bad, but will anyone help me with this OC or am I doomed ? ^^
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2012 11:44:41 PM

danto_93 said:
No, it's like last summer old. And 3.8 and 4.2 turbo would be great for me as long as they are stable and don't give me errors all over the place like the AI OC is doing atm.

go into the bios and change the base multiplier to 3.8 then set the voltage to like 1.2. there should also be an option for aditional turbo voltage. bump that to like 1.25 or +.05.
March 21, 2012 11:56:10 PM

Trying it now, I'll let you know how it works out. And very much thanks for the reply. :) 
March 22, 2012 12:05:53 AM

Ok, so I have the Asus UEFI BIOS utility system and I did not find a way to change the base multiplier to 3.8 Also about the voltage I did not find any Turbo option regarding the voltage and also there are multiple voltage options I can tweak, like DRAM, ecc.. If you could please guide me more into depth I would greatly appreciate. Sorry for being such a newby :S And thanks again for the reply.
March 22, 2012 9:51:58 AM

Hey! Ok so I managed to raise the speed to 3.8 but doing so my DDRAM speed is increasing over it's limit ( like it's getting to 1.748 when the limit 1.600 ) and my system is telling me that the OC failed. Any suggestion ?
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2012 11:39:11 AM

Yeah your gonna cook your RAM if you haven't already...1.748v on DDR3 wow
March 22, 2012 12:01:11 PM

No, my RAM is still ok since my PC just shut down without even trying. But any idea of how to increase the speed to 3.8 without touching the RAM speed? cause they seem to be related somehow/someway :/ 
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2012 12:11:47 PM

Of course they are related they use the same reference clock...FSB...The FSB is the "volume control" of the entire system....You would have to be able to unlink the CPU multiplier to be able to just bump the CPU multi. up...Which cannot be done with that chip as it is not the K-series
March 22, 2012 1:05:21 PM

Oh ok I see. So basicaly I can not OC my system in it's current state? Also I saw a few forum posts where ppl said they got same mobo with i7 2600 ( no k ) and they pushed their speed to 4.2, is that cause they had faster RAM than I did ? Also would you know why PC keeps giving me errors all over the place when I set my system option to "MaxPerformance" from the BIOS EZ utlity ? It's suppose to be some sort of AI OC but it fails badly. Do you think I could set it to "MaxPerformance" and then maybe change some settings and see if that could work as OC? Anyway thanks a lot for teaching/helping me. :) 
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2012 6:08:40 PM

danto_93 said:
Oh ok I see. So basicaly I can not OC my system in it's current state? Also I saw a few forum posts where ppl said they got same mobo with i7 2600 ( no k ) and they pushed their speed to 4.2, is that cause they had faster RAM than I did ? Also would you know why PC keeps giving me errors all over the place when I set my system option to "MaxPerformance" from the BIOS EZ utlity ? It's suppose to be some sort of AI OC but it fails badly. Do you think I could set it to "MaxPerformance" and then maybe change some settings and see if that could work as OC? Anyway thanks a lot for teaching/helping me. :) 


your missing the option to overclock your cpu. idk what it is but you CAN overclock that cpu to 3.8 and 4.2 with turbo. dont let someone tell you otherwise. you could also can the baseclock to maybe 101-102 max.

idk what your talking about when you saw 1.748...? yyour changing the multiplier and that is the only thing other then cpu voltage you are changing.
March 22, 2012 9:00:03 PM

Ehm, I forgot the name, but there is like a box with a default number which was 100, if I increased that number my speed would go up from 3.4 In order to make it reach 3.8 i would have to put 112 in that box, but my DDRAM speed options would change ( for example before I had 1333 - 1600 - ecc , but after I had something like 1444 - 1748 - ecc ) so what I did then was to set my DDRAM speed to Auto since there was no other option that could sattisfy my needs and since I didn't really knew what else to do. My pc crashed as it was rebooting and then I had to set everything to default as it was not working.

Also I saw a guid where they were OCing the same system I have pretty much to 3.8 and in that multiplier box they went from the defautl value "100" to "103", now if I do that my speed goes to like 3.5 so again I don't really know what to do.

What I'm thinking is to set in the BIOS to MaxPerformance and let it do it's own OC and then see if there are any tweaks I can make in the advanced section to prevent all those errors I get afterwards cause of this OC.

P.S. If I could provide you with a Screenie of my BIOS would you be able to help me ?

Thanks a lot for the info anyway :)  Very much appreciated.
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2012 9:37:46 PM

Yeah a screen shot would help out a lot....
March 22, 2012 10:26:03 PM

Ok this is how the first part looks. - http://article-images.clunk.org.uk/articles/p67-sandy-b...

The difference is my BCLK/PEG Frequency is 100, and I set my ram speed to 1600

The RAM timings http://article-images.clunk.org.uk/articles/p67-sandy-b...
The difference here is that my RAM timigs are 9-9-9-24-2t

And this is the last part : http://article-images.clunk.org.uk/articles/p67-sandy-b...

The difference is that I set my CPU Manual Voltage to 1.20000


Doing what I just said crashed my PC while it was rebooting and CPU-Z is still telling me I got 3.40 speed.
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2012 11:21:45 PM

you have already overclocked it as high as you can... if 103 and 38 is stable leave it but remember, ram speed is not the only other item that speeds up when you change the base clock(103).
March 22, 2012 11:24:52 PM

It's 100 and 38, but it's crashing and when it manages to boot CPU-Z is telling me the speed is 3.4

Also should I try some different voltage options to prevent it from crash ? or is it unrelated?
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2012 12:06:53 AM

have you googled how to overclock a 2600?
March 23, 2012 12:17:52 AM

Multiple times, but didn't get much out of it :S
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2012 10:15:21 PM

danto_93 said:
I think I managed to get all the info in this SS compilation. If you need more please say. And very much thanks for the reply.



Is your CPU i7 2600K or just i7 2600 without the "k"?
March 23, 2012 11:16:33 PM

without the K
a b K Overclocking
March 24, 2012 12:38:31 AM

danto_93 said:
without the K

What happens is when you adjust the BCLK, it will automatically adjust the voltage of the memory, which contribute to the instability of the whole computer system. If I were you I will sell that CPU and change it to i5 2500K. That way you can OC the CPU up to 4.7 GHZ like mine and don't forget to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler(air/liquid). It is a good investment to prolong the lifespan of a an OC'd CPU.
March 24, 2012 10:28:12 AM

Ok thank you very much for the info and the suggestion. :) 
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2012 6:33:00 PM

danto_93 said:
Hello good fellas. I would really need some help/advice with something regarding my computer. First of all here are my specs :

> Mainboard : ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH P67
> Chipset : Intel
> Processor : Intel Sandy Bridge @ 3503 MHz - it's a i7-2600
> Physical Memory : 16384 MB (4 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM )
> Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
> Hard Disk : OCZ-AGILITY2 (90 GB)
> Hard Disk : ST31000524AS (1000 GB)
> DVD-Rom Drive : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7261S ATA Device
> Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 22 inches
> Network Card
> Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (x64)
> DirectX : Version 11.00

So basicaly I went into my BIOS and in the EZ mode there was this option for "Max Performance", which should be some sort of AI Automatic OC. Well I went for it and now I'm getting errors for most of my programs.
I presume I should not stick with this AI OC so I would like to manually OC my system. But here is the point, I got close to no idea of what/how to do. I would really and greatly appreciate any suggestion and help. Also please feel free to ask for more info if needed.


this is what i have first off if you format your system with your clocked settings you wont get thous type of errors and do not clock beond the ability of your water system nothing should idel above 145 F this system has been running for 8 years and i like it its all about quility and reasurch of the componits
all about high end computing my computer was built in 2004 the hardware is
AMD FX-60 clocked to 3 GHz
4 rapters 36.4 raid array for performance
AGP PRO 6800 GT clocked to 700 MHz
ASUS A8V deluxe pro motherboard
OCZ 400 MHz memory clocked to 500 MHz
all water cooled still runs top end games today
and in most cases faster than any stock computer pulled off the self today EX: best buy computers true a alienwear 2012 area 51 is faster but not by much
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2012 8:57:08 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
this is what i have first off if you format your system with your clocked settings you wont get thous type of errors and do not clock beond the ability of your water system nothing should idel above 145 F this system has been running for 8 years and i like it its all about quility and reasurch of the componits
all about high end computing my computer was built in 2004 the hardware is
AMD FX-60 clocked to 3 GHz
4 rapters 36.4 raid array for performance
AGP PRO 6800 GT clocked to 700 MHz
ASUS A8V deluxe pro motherboard
OCZ 400 MHz memory clocked to 500 MHz
all water cooled still runs top end games today
and in most cases faster than any stock computer pulled off the self today EX: best buy computers true a alienwear 2012 area 51 is faster but not by much


idk what you are talking about cause just because how you overclocked your 8 year old cpu doesnt make it relevant to today. also NO one formats their systems after they overclock.

Also id bet my life that you're either playing at a very low resolution or that you are playing at 1080p and lying that you can play games at ultra.

just to clarify, when someone now a days says that can max any game they mean that at 1080p or high and EVERYTHING maxed.

but i feel like your lying cause even low end computers are faster then yours these days.
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2012 9:26:56 PM

well i am currently playing fear 3 on this system, is it maxed as you say no. but it still playes it when i first buit this system i could play doom 3 and fear at ultra settings, to do that with todays games it would require 4 video cards, not one card there is no single card system today that can play new games at high on everything. with that stated the fact that it can still keep up with todays systems is outstanding. and i do not see myself upgreading until the processors get faster and the memory speeds match or exceed the processor speed.
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2012 9:53:24 PM

danto_93 said:
Hello good fellas. I would really need some help/advice with something regarding my computer. First of all here are my specs :

> Mainboard : ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH P67
> Chipset : Intel
> Processor : Intel Sandy Bridge @ 3503 MHz - it's a i7-2600
> Physical Memory : 16384 MB (4 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM )
> Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
> Hard Disk : OCZ-AGILITY2 (90 GB)
> Hard Disk : ST31000524AS (1000 GB)
> DVD-Rom Drive : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7261S ATA Device
> Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 22 inches
> Network Card
> Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (x64)
> DirectX : Version 11.00

So basicaly I went into my BIOS and in the EZ mode there was this option for "Max Performance", which should be some sort of AI Automatic OC. Well I went for it and now I'm getting errors for most of my programs.
I presume I should not stick with this AI OC so I would like to manually OC my system. But here is the point, I got close to no idea of what/how to do. I would really and greatly appreciate any suggestion and help. Also please feel free to ask for more info if needed.


my best suggestion to you is to do what softwere engineers do when thay build there systems, i am confident that there are moor then a few of them on this forum, then match your hardwere to there hardware and there settings, is the hardwere you have good for clocking, i do not know, i would half to do so resurch on that, but overclocking is not somthing that should be experminted with unless you have a large budget, the posibility of destorying hardware is high, but when done properly the benifits are great.
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2012 10:17:05 PM

cbrunnem said:
idk what you are talking about cause just because how you overclocked your 8 year old cpu doesnt make it relevant to today. also NO one formats their systems after they overclock.

Also id bet my life that you're either playing at a very low resolution or that you are playing at 1080p and lying that you can play games at ultra.

just to clarify, when someone now a days says that can max any game they mean that at 1080p or high and EVERYTHING maxed.

but i feel like your lying cause even low end computers are faster then yours these days.


my kids have a HP pavilion p6610f with a asus ati EAH5850 directCU 1gig video card and my old computer runs the games faster and with higher setings then this newer computer so i do not understand how you come to the conclution that it is not relevent to todays computers.
a b K Overclocking
March 27, 2012 12:17:00 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
my kids have a HP pavilion p6610f with a asus ati EAH5850 directCU 1gig video card and my old computer runs the games faster and with higher setings then this newer computer so i do not understand how you come to the conclution that it is not relevent to todays computers.


there is no way that your gpu comes in the same zip code as a 5850 of a 6xxx series AMD card. its eight years old its slow and doesnt even offer directx 11.
a b K Overclocking
March 28, 2012 1:51:36 PM

@toolmaker-->I have to say your not telling the truth...Your computer is an outdated machine with inferior parts...Do you really think that we are that gullible? I have ran single card solutions for ultra settings ...FYI the HP machine that "your kid" is using is crap if your Old FX-60 is outrunning it...What CPU is that HP running? Probably a celeron or sempron right..Single core garbage
March 30, 2012 1:27:08 AM

@toolmaker, why would you even think any of us would believe that crap? The components you listed aren't worth a soggy biscuit.
a b K Overclocking
March 30, 2012 5:38:16 AM

johnpaul182 said:
@toolmaker, why would you even think any of us would believe that crap? The components you listed aren't worth a soggy biscuit.

whats a soggy biscuit?
a b K Overclocking
March 30, 2012 3:15:22 PM

I don't care what you believe, it is not my fault that these new computers, are not as good as you think they are, that's your problem, and if you don't have the education, training, and ability, to see the truth, that your problem to, I have no reason to lie to any of you, I don't even know you.
a b K Overclocking
March 30, 2012 7:07:48 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
I don't care what you believe, it is not my fault that these new computers, are not as good as you think they are, that's your problem, and if you don't have the education, training, and ability, to see the truth, that your problem to, I have no reason to lie to any of you, I don't even know you.


you just contradicted yourself. not to mention your sentence is extremely comma happy. the fact is that these new computeres ARE as good as we are saying and that your computer CANNOT max or come colose to maxing new games today at 1080p.

March 30, 2012 9:53:31 PM

I don't want to disturb you guys, but this seems to have went abit OT. Anyway feel free to continue your discussion and while you are here it would be nice to throw some more information in my face that could regard my initial dilemma. Cheers again for every tip :) 
a b K Overclocking
March 30, 2012 10:18:02 PM

danto_93 said:
I don't want to disturb you guys, but this seems to have went abit OT. Anyway feel free to continue your discussion and while you are here it would be nice to throw some more information in my face that could regard my initial dilemma. Cheers again for every tip :) 


where do you stand right now with your OC? maybe you could take some pictures of you bios so we know what your working with?
!