Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SSD
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
September 30, 2011 11:40:01 AM

Hello,

I'm looking to further increase the speed of my computer. At the moment its my hard drive bottle necking my performance (5.8 on W7 benchmark test, everything else is in 7-8 range) and I am looking to spend around £100-£150 on a SSD. Unfortunately I am not very knowledgeable on SSD's and would appreciate some suggestions.

My only use for it will be to hold my operating system and other system functions such as Anti virus etc.

I am going to keep my current hard drive as my primary storage although if you guys would recommend against this please voice. I have just upgraded the rest of my machine, if need be a can post up the exact specs for it but in brief:

Intel Phenom (Black edition) x6
x8GB of DDR3 memory
GTX460
Cant remember what make of motherboard I have or what voltage PSU I have (although I know its between 650-950). I can find out a post back if you need me too!

Cheers for any help you can provide.

Recon21288.

More about : ssd

a c 124 G Storage
September 30, 2011 1:48:54 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Good system, and just about any SSD will be a big improvement in speeding up the load times. In instances like this, I lean towards what is on sale. I would suggest that you read some articles and comparisons on SSDs of different brands before making a final selection.

Use the SSD for the OS and other frequently used programs, and a HDD for everything else. If you are close to purchase, Black Friday is round the corner; November 25, 2011 (I realize you are in the UK).

http://www.tomshardware.com/search.php?s=SSD+Comparison...

And don't forget to perform frequent backups onto an external disk.
a b G Storage
September 30, 2011 2:29:29 PM

dont listen to that speed test, but do get an SSD. ANY ONE will be fine
Related resources
September 30, 2011 2:51:20 PM

Hello,

Ok thanks for the responses. It makes life easier knowing that any SSD will be up to the task I would be asking of it.

I know the Windows 7 benchmark tool leaves a lot to be desired but i figured it would be a good place to look in order to find out where to improve system response times etc, even if it is inaccurate.

Thanks,

Recon21288.
September 30, 2011 3:33:20 PM

I have had old Summit SSD's rate 5.8 on the WEI and caused me to do some investigating.

In the new build there are three OCZ vertex 3's with a 4th on the way, assisted by a Patriot Pyro 60 gig as a system cache (Not to be confused with the Intel's acceleration) There is a hard drive on a thermaltake docking station connected to my USB 3.0 that collects backup every day without fail.

I do need to find a card that will have 4 SATA III slots to build a storage collection (Not Raid) of 4 terabyte drives. Once I do that, the new computer can then become a powerful network storage.

The WEI on my raid 0 SSD stack stands at 7.9 Everything else is 7.9 with the exception of the CPU which is gently overclocked at 7.8

Non SSD drives will not be given anything above 6. I had some old Raptors that got a little more...

WEI is ok, the real proof is in games like BF3 Beta, how long does it take you to load into a map.
a c 124 G Storage
September 30, 2011 4:00:36 PM

Recon21288 said:
Hello,

Ok thanks for the responses. It makes life easier knowing that any SSD will be up to the task I would be asking of it.

I know the Windows 7 benchmark tool leaves a lot to be desired but i figured it would be a good place to look in order to find out where to improve system response times etc, even if it is inaccurate.

Thanks,

Recon21288.

To reiterate what I stated in my post above, go with price!
a b G Storage
September 30, 2011 4:02:02 PM

I feel like I'm the only one reading the product reviews on Newegg. My advice is to NOT buy just anything that's on sale but rather to do as I am and read as many reviews as possible. IMHO, Crucial seems to stand out from the crowd in reliability at least at the moment. They're all fast but reliability is my issue of choice. Read as many reviews as possible.
September 30, 2011 4:50:32 PM

Reviews are a mans (and on occasion womens) best friend.

Reviews will be getting read to help me make a decision along with of course THE PRICE!

Im willing to spend a maximum of £150 so hopefully for that kind of money the SSD "should" be reliable. The reviews will help me with that point.
a c 180 G Storage
September 30, 2011 5:29:02 PM

You may read about glowing benchmarks for the newest SSD's.
The sequential benchmarks drive the SSD to it's maximum with programs that issue I/O operations
at a much faster rate than an application can, and does so at high queue levels. 6gb sata looks great.
But, a normal desktop user rarely does anything remotely like that.

The second type of benchmark measures maximum IOPS which will be done at high queue levels again. Think >30.
That is also not what we do. The OS does mostly small random I/O, and at smallish queue lengths.
It is the response time that matters most.

It turns out that at low queue lengths, Most SSD's have the same response time, and they are very low.
That is exactly what you want from a SSD, particularly for the OS.

So, what does this mean when buying a SSD?
---------------Bottom line-----------

Get the capacity you need at the lowest cost per gb

For the OS and not much else, 40gb is about the minimum. 60gb is OK, and 80gb is plenty if you will also install a few apps.

A bit dated returns report would indicate that Intel is the brand to pick:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/810-6/components-ret...
!