Geforce BFG 285 bottlenecking?

G

I recently picked up a geforce bfg 285(upgraded from a geforece 8500 GT) and I threw it in my computer with a brand new 680w PSU. I play WoW and CoD MW2. The FPS on WoW went down to only 20-30 fps, whereas my 8500 was a steady 50-60 fps. I have a Intel core 2 quad Q6600 @ 2.40 ghz, and 4gb of ram. The other day the computer just shut down and wouldnt restart, so I opened it up and the PSU and the 285 were extremely hot, So i'm wondering what the problem with the fps issue, could it be bottle necking,or the PSU, or even somthing else? Thanks.

Noobster15

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Sounds like it could be a hardware problem, either your PSU or your Graphics card.

Its hard to tell exactly, you should try putting your 8500GT back in and seeing if the PSU is still getting really hot and if your performance goes back up. If your PSU is fine and your performance does go up, id say return your gfx.

Also does your case have good airflow? As the PSU and the GFX could be making alot of heat, and if they are close together... spells trouble.

Also, it could possible be bottlenecking, but not enough to actually reduce the performance of the GTX 285 to lower then a 8500GT!

G

The 680 PSU blew up apparently, that's what you get when you only spend $30 though, lol. I put my old 500w psu in and it runs the card like a champ, everything is good. Thanks guys! =]