CPU heatsink/fan setup questions

Hey everyone, first post here. I'm not really a overclocker, but I want to achieve a cooler computer. I usually see temps about 35c - 38c on normal day to day usage, browsing the internet and at times seeing temps of 42c - 44c when prolonged usage of youtube, etc.. I would like to achieve at least a 10c decrease. I'm using:

System:
AMD Phantom II 960T Zosma 4core at 3ghz
BIOSTAR A880G+
Rosewill RCX-Z1 CPU Heatsink 3,100 RPM, 57cfm, with 33dBA

The only other computer fan I have right now is a 80mm (due to short cord on my 92mm fan), with unknown specs.. But I will be getting a Phantom 410 with 3 case fans preinstalled in a few days.

My question is:
A) Should I just upgrade the heatsink fan itself to something more powerful? like a vantec tornado for about $15? The noise level looks to be slightly higher, and that seems alright, but other people say its insane. I can tolerate my current cpu fan though. The cfm is over double my current cpu fan, I don't exactly want overkill but this seems to be the sweet spot between noise and cfm.

I'd also have to order another fan controller for $9 because my current fan controller can't handle the vantec fan at 12.5watts. The controller is only 10watts per channel sadly. The total price for this option would be about $23.47 which doesn't sound too shabby.

C) My other option is to upgrade my cpu heatsink itself, and get some delta fans and a controller?
I) What I've come up with would be $20 for cpu heatsink supporting 92mm fans, $15 for the vantec fan, and another $9 for a fan controller totaling $44
II) $35 heatsink, $30 delta fan, and $30 for a fan controller, totaling $95.
D) Is there a better option that I can't see? I really don't feel like going with water cooling. Slightly because I don't trust it and I feel like I can tolerate noise to performance ratio.

Sorry if its a little long winded, I just like explaining myself clearly. Thanks in advanced for any help.
4 answers Last reply
More about heatsink setup questions
  1. To be honest, those temps are pretty good and you do not need to worry about them. Delta fans are LOUD. By loud I mean vacuum cleaner loud.
  2. Thanks for the reply, I agree with you they are good temps, but I miss my old temps of 30c before I upgraded. I want to make it almost a project to shave off 10c or at least 8c from the temps I listed before. I believe I'm going to try the vantec tornado fan and fan controller after I receive my Phantom.

I know the delta fans are loud, but with the controller I can tone it down a little bit, but want to go with the cheaper option first..
  3. Max temps of a little over 40 C is pretty good.

I saw the Vantec spec sheet. I have a difficult time believing that one fan pulls 1 amp, especially considering that the 4 fans (one 200 mm and three 120 mm) set on HIGH together pull a little less than 13 watts.
  4. This is the source I got my information from, too bad newegg doesn't have it there by default, I'm looking at the 92mm fan TD9238H.
    http://www.dvhardware.net/review68_vantec-nxp201.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Fan CPUs Overclocking Product