Sign in with
Your question

Dual Channel Not Working

Last response: in Motherboards
May 8, 2010 3:20:51 AM

I just built a new PC and have an issue with memory. Two sticks in channel 0 (both blue) or channel 1 (both white) cause the BIOS to sound 3 long beeps and not POST. Running one stick works fine (2GB). Running one stick in channel 0 and one in channel 1 works fine (4GB). Tried two other sticks (Kingston Value RAM) from a different working PC and got the same results.

GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H
AMD Phenom II X3 720
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

I checked the BIOS settings for RAM, and they were correct. Is there something special I need to do to get dual channel working? Never used a Gigabyte board before.

One other fact. The CPU had bent pins which I straightened. Using just one stick, I was able to load Win7 and run everything normally, but I haven't done any stress testing. Seems like the CPU is fine.

Thanks

More about : dual channel working

a c 295 V Motherboard
May 8, 2010 4:25:34 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

For the dual-channel the only thing that u need to do is install the stick in A1 an B1 slot or A2 and B2 slot, with that u can get the dual-channel of the RAM.

Now, u can test the stability of ur rig with prime95 and the stability of the RAM with memtest86+ but i think that the problem could be the bent pins of the CPU.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 8, 2010 5:39:54 AM

Take another look at your pins - follow the Intel procedure noted in the i3/i5/i7 'Missing' Memory section of the 'sticky'...
m
l
!