PC won't boot after over-clocking attempt on MSI C45-770

G

Hi all,

I tried to boot over-clock my system via the OC Switch on the motherboard. To do this I removed the graphics card (which hid the OC Switch) moved the switch to the 10% (lowest) over-clock setting then replaced the graphics card.

Since doing that the PC has not booted up. There are no beep codes emitted by the system and all fans (PSU, CPU and graphics) do run. The blue LEDs on the motherboard show one fully lit and the other three are flashing. The monitor believes there is no signal coming from the computer.

I re-set the OC Switch to the default (not over-clocked) position however the PC still does not boot up.

Other things I have tried;

- ensuring all cables from PSU to motherboard are connected properly
- re-seating the memory
- re-seating CPU/heatsink/fan
- re-seating graphics card
- using a different graphics card.

However nothing allows the PC to boot nor display on the monitor.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can try? What might be the cause of the problem?

Thanks,

John

System details:

Motherboard: MSI C45-770
CPU: AMD Athlon X3 440
Graphics: Gainward GeForce 9600 GT
RAM: 2 x 2GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair Vx 550 W

SkyWalker1726

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
as said . u have to Clear the CMOS , if ur MB does have a button for that use it , if not , Take out ur MB battery , and unplug ur PSU , w8 for 15 min , then put back the battery and plug ur PSU again , turn it on

there is also a jumper that u can use , but if ur not familiar with it it would be a little hard to find

G

Thanks jsc, SkyWalker172.

I'll clear the CMOS tonight when I get home. The instructions are in this manual.

One thing that I thought of though is;

should the CMOS have been cleared after I switched the OC Switch on?

John

SkyWalker1726

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
when set to an unstable state ( ex. OC ) ur PC won't boot ,
the MB should revert itself Automatically after 2~3 boot failure to default settings and allow u to enter the bios to rectify the problem .
but sometimes it doesn't , that's when u have to manually do it by clearing the CMOS & therefore resetting all the bios settings to Default .

in theory u'r right , it should have boot when u set the switch back to default , but since it didn't we have to CLRCMOS ;)

G

Hi. I tried setting the CMOS to clear and took the battery out before leaving the PC for around 45mins.

I then replaced the battery and moved the CMOS back to its former position.

Several reboots later the machine still won't boot.

There's a new symptom too. Now the PC won't switch off from the power button at the front. I've got to switch the PSU switch to off to turn it off!

Anything else I can try?

Thanks,

John

SkyWalker1726

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
did use the CLRCMOS jumper ?
if not , try it . ( u should place to jumper back to it;s original default state after )
or
try Turning on the PC without RAM Modules and VGA to see if it "BEEPS"

G

Yes I'd used the clear CMOS jumper as shown in the manual but unfortunately it did not help.

After removing the RAM and GFX card I switched the PC on but there are no beeps nor any other warning.

Thanks,

John

G

Thanks anyway SkyWalker

G

One other symptom is that there are four blue LESs on the mono. The manual says that when the leftmost one is lit the "CPU is in 1 phase power mode". The only other option it gives is all four lit which means "CPU is in 4 phase power mode". Currently my mono has one LED lit amdc the other three are just flashing.

Could this be power related? Or do I now have a faulty system?

G

I'll correct the spelling mistakes of the last post (done on a mobile late at night). I can't seem to edit the post itself.

One other symptom is that there are four blue LEDs on the mobo. The manual says that when the leftmost one is lit the "CPU is in 1 phase power mode". The only other option it gives is all four lit which means "CPU is in 4 phase power mode". Currently my mobo has one LED lit and the other three are just flashing.

Could this be power related? Or do I now have a faulty system?

G

Back on the computer now.

It turned out the motherboard was damaged somehow by flicking the over-clock switch. A replacement motherboard confirmed this :)

Thanks to all who helped.