Stop kids accessing the internet from 9pm till 9am

ggandta

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Evening all,

I am looking for a way to deny access to the internet, but allow access to the network resources (printers etc.) for my kids, between the hours of 9pm and 9am.

I have a D-Link DIR-300 Wireless Router. Computers are running XP, Vista or Windows 7. They are all setup with DHCP Reservations of IP addresses based on their MAC address e.g. 192.168.10.(11 - 16). I have 2 Brother printers, one connected to the Router and one connected to an 8 port switch hanging off the Router.

I think that blocking TCP/UDP "ports" in the Firewall settings is the way to do it, but I'm not sure.

Also, I'm not exactly sure of how to set this up on the DIR-300, how to set rules that run from 9pm to 9am is a problem, it requires the end time to be after the start time!

Can anyone help?

Frustrated Dad :-(

ntadmin101

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

without having read that manual, and plently of experience with firewalls, it might be that You to create two sets of rules
source kids machines
Destination WAN
Service any
Action Deny
then bind the time 9:00 pm until Midnight

Now create another rule the same and deny from midnight until 9:00 am

source kids machines
Destination WAN
Service any
Action Deny
then bind the time Midnight until 9:00 am

The kids will still have access to the lan printers because the deny action is on traffic passing to the WAN / Internet. Notice I put deny for any service, that is because kids are creative, and they have tons of ways to get around this. So a deny any kills all of their traffic out to the wan.

Hope this helps

ggandta

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009

Thanks ntadmin101,

I'll give it a shot, it makes logical sense.

Hopefull Dad :-|

ggandta

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009

G'Day again ntadmin101,

I've now confirmed that your solution works perfectly. I had a bit of trouble at the start, but that was because I was trying to doo too many things at the one time, but once I backed out everything and just made one change at a time, I was able to see where I had gone wrong very quickly.

Thanks again

Happy dad ;-)