Changeing heatsink

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
i got a naxt havik 140 but for some reason it makes a extremeley irritating sound and i want to get rid of it which cpu cooler should i get i want one that is quiet noise is important want to hear hardly any noise from it and one that is good at cooling i was looking at the HR O2 Macho form thermalright since the archron is not avialible from where i get my stuff is that one good?

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
havik 140 is rated at 25db while the Macho is rated at 21db, Thats not going to be any drastic difference, Irritating sound? are you sure its working properly or that you dont have a wire "ticking" against a fan blade? Is the noise you hear the HSF? or maybe you recently went to this fan from a louder one and now your hearing the crazy noises a hard drive can make! ;-)

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
no its buzzing noise i didnt istalll it it wa sinstalled on a shop im pirtty shure they wouldnt make this mistake tho , i no for a fact it is the actual fan pulling tha air out to the exaust fan , it is runnig at 1300rpm where as the other fan pushing the air in on the right side is at 1200 so im not gonna mess around with this heatisnk it is to heavy and i will prob crush my cpu so i am gonna jsut buy a diff heatsink

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I think the macho is a solid choice, Not sure about the noise now though. But do you think that this HSF you got is working properly and making this noise? or does it sound wrong?

This bad boy is a little bit more but supposed to be the cats meow!
Noctua NH-D14 (2x 140mm fans and about 20dBA noise) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018
Zalman CNPS12X has 3x120mm fans and runs from 22 to 24dBA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118097

OR there are a handful of wonderful closed loop liquid cooling sets out there (Closed Loop meaning that it comes ready to go, just follow simple mounting instructions) There are various models to choose from depending on how much space you have in your case for the radiator (single 120mm fan to triple 120mm fan radiators)
Corsair Hydro Series: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=corsair+hydro
The H70 is on sale and a very popular choice

Antec Kuhler Series: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=Kuhler&x=0&y=0

One thing that i do not know about is what sort of CPU you are cooling with these high end HSF's which could make the difference in recommendations.

as far as noise goes, The Stock Intel I7-980 hits the 40's for max dBA, i7-920 hits 27dBA or AMD Phenom II Stock coolers hit 30/34 dBA so some of these beasts are quite lower than that.

Also since you had the fan installed, Are you 100% Certain that the noise isnt coming from any other system fans? like a Case Intake or Exhaust fan or possibly the PSU fan? Many times companies or end users just buy cheap fans for the cases and then stress about how loud their CPU Cooler is when its much cooler than some of the 80/120/140mm fans they just installed elsewhere!

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
i got a pc k62 draogn lord lan li cas eim shure its not the system case fan i stop the exhaust fan and still ehar it my fan is working porpely as i did a o.cand got good temps for some reason one is just makein a noise like the noise a fan makes when its spiing at liek 1500-2000 rpm when its only spiing at 1300rpmboth the fans are suposed to spin at 1200 but for some reason other is faster its a decent cooler but noise is a big no no with me

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
im looking for a cpu cooler that gives good cooling low noise i heard the archron is good but i cant find it on pccasegear atm wher ei buy my stuff so that swhy i was leaning towards the macho

Thermalright heatsinks are excellent and quiet.
The Macho is a good cooler but on the large side.
The TS120 is a great cooler that's quiet and compatible with tall ram kits all dimms filled.
Reason why it's currently out of stock at Pc Case Gear = excellent value.
Any Thermalright cooler that comes with a TY-140mm is going to be quiet.
Best 140mm fan available imo.

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
True spirit ok can i buy to 140mm TY fans and put it on the true spirit in push /pull

the height is 170mm will it fit in my lan li Pc-k62 dragonlord case

and i sitl dont no why they dont stock archons anymore on that site