Installing SSD, new HDD and my old HDD as backup etc?

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
This will be my 2nd build and I need advice/help about how install my new SSD and HDD as boot and data drives and my old HDD as a back up or 3rd drive.

I'm not even sure how to ask the proper question about installing multiple drives. Help me out here if you can.

I know I can do the new build with my ASRock Z68 Pro 3, i5 2500K, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 +, GSKill RAM, a Crucial 64GB SSD, a new WD Black HDD, my old PNY Quadro NVS 440 graphics card (runs 4 monitors from one slot for financial trading) and my old case and power supply which are working fine.

I think I can probably figure out how to install the SSD and new WD Black HDD, I'm unsure how to install my old WD HDD with all my old data and programs on it without messing everything up. I don't want to transfer all the trash and junk on the old drive to the new drive, just my photos and word documents etc.

Can you advise this old fart how to do this? Please? How do I label the boot drive for Windows 7 HP 64 and the WDD Black drive? Will the data drive be the C drive? And the SSD boot drive will be,....? And I don't want the old HDD to start up and contaminate the new drives with junk and trash.

How do I transfer my desired data, jpegs and documents without cluttering up the other drives?

Does this make any sense? Is there a guide or program to do this as painlessly as possible.

Thank you all for any help and clues.

Semi skilled old guy.

Solution
Easy:
(1) connect ONLY the SSD, connect it to the Intel SATA III.
(2) When first power up, go into The Bios and set controller to AHCI
(3) Inttall windows 7
(4) when windows is installed, go to Intel website and download the RST driver (ver 10.6)
(5) everything OK, Then
Connect up the two HDDs. The New one can go on a sata III port but does not have to.

Comment, I would not use the other 3rd party sata 6 controled ports (Disable in bios) unless you need them
Easy:
(1) connect ONLY the SSD, connect it to the Intel SATA III.
(2) When first power up, go into The Bios and set controller to AHCI
(3) Inttall windows 7
(4) when windows is installed, go to Intel website and download the RST driver (ver 10.6)
(5) everything OK, Then
Connect up the two HDDs. The New one can go on a sata III port but does not have to.

Comment, I would not use the other 3rd party sata 6 controled ports (Disable in bios) unless you need them

Solution