Concerned about pII x4 980 temps

Hey fellas I just took out my FX-6100 and popped in a PII 980 and at stock voltages and stock clock speed my idle was 35-38C and prime95 would take me to mid 60s. I have a Zalman 9900MAX cooler and I never got close to this temp on stock with the 6100. Was going to overclock but not if my temps are so high already. Do I need to wait for my thermal grease to set a while or is something wrong? Stock voltage was 1.375v is this higher than normal?

Solution
Not sure about the voltage, but the temps seem too high.

Maybe try removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the heatsink with fresh thermal grease.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Those temps are a bit high unless your room is quite warm. I have the 975, with a zalman cnps 9700, and I idle at about 30, and overclocked to 3.8, I can play BF3 for an hour and only be at 51 or so.
Does your case have dcent cooling?. Mine only had a 120mm in the back when I got it, and my temps were 3-4 degrees higher, until I added another 120mm to the front to bring in some cool air

I just applied thermal grease today with the two line method, i completely cleaned the heatsink and cpu before hand. I have decent airflow, 2 120mm fans up front pulling in, 1 120mm fan in the back pushing out, and 1 140mm fan up top pushing out. maybe i used to much thermal grease, ill reapply this weekend. :(