Looking to build a gaming rig for under $800

tomahtiger

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Around Christmas

BUDGET RANGE: <$800 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, photo/video editing, watching movies)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor (Have LG Flatron W1952TQ)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: None...this is my first build and looking to the wisdom of this community

OVERCLOCKING: Not Likely

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not Likely

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440 x 900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like to include the windows 7 operating system with this build. As stated before, this will be my first build. I am not looking for lots of "bling" in a case...just something functional. Additionally I would like there to be some flexibility in the build for future expansion when additional funds are obtained.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Hey toma,

I just did this build for someone in another thread with a lower price range, but it'll be a good start for you. You can consider upgrading a Phenom II 945 and changing the case to an Antec Three Hundred Illusion for an excellent gaming machine with lots of upgrade options and overclocking room. The HD 4890 may be overkill for your resolution, in which case you can either downgrade to an HD 5770 or spend the extra money on a new monitor. You can get 1920x1080 for around $160.