Comuter turns back off when started

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P paired with a Phenom 9850+ and Corsair gaming ram. All of a sudden when I hit the power button it only turns on for a second then turns back off. When I took out the GeForce GTX260 and replaced it with a GeForce 7600 it would stay up for a couple more seconds. I have used a Antec power supply tester that displays voltage and it showed all of the motherboard connectors were good for volts but it is only a 650 watt power supply. The GTX260 says it needs a 525 watt power supply and I know the CPU is a 125 watt chip. Could it be that the heavy load I had it under all of the time has caused it to no longer supply enough watts?

PS. As note before this problem it would shut off a few times after it finished logging into windows.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
And I'm starting to see why insane 1000 watt PSU's get so many sales.

Unless that PSU is dead, that's plenty. You need to start isolating and testing different parts.

Also, read the other thread that has nearly the same exact title, and read the recommendations.

Also read the other thread that has the title 'Can my PSU handle this' for the other question.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. Yes

6. This is the second motherboard I have had for this system. Tested the ram one at a time on previous motherboard and ran a mem test on them using an Ubuntu disk.

7. Yes

8. Yes

9. Yes

10. Yes. Link to what I used.

11. Yes

12. Using after market cooler.

13. No

14. Yes

15. Yes

16. Yes

17. Yes

18. Yes

19. No. This is not the first time I have booted it. I shut it down one night and the next day it had this problem.

20. N/A Motherboard does not have integrated video.

It honestly sounds like there's enough power, but it's not getting routed where it's supposed to. I've had this happen before if I've got RAM whose voltage doesn't match the motherboard's default specs. Some boards are good at auto-detecting the correct voltage; some aren't. Some boards are good when you set the memory voltage manually in the BIOS; some boards freak out and do what you're describing.

I'd try doing a CMOS clear and see if you can at least get the system to boot afterward. If so, you'll know for sure that it was some kind of conflict in the BIOS settings. Not sure where to advise you to go from there, but it's a start.

Again, I'm not saying that this is definitely the problem, but it's worth a try. Corsair RAM raises my suspicions, because they tend to make a lot of memory that's non-standard voltage. Especially if it's "gaming RAM."

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I removed the ram and sound card. Also when I put the 650w antec power supply back in I only plugged in the motherboard (both the 24 and 8 pin connectors) and the video card. Still has the same problem.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
either CPU or mobo sound bad then.

"I also wanted to add some suggestions that user jsc often posts. This is a direct quote from him:

"Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU."

And you've done 2 PSU's

Couldn't have said it better myself. Oh, wait. I did. :)

I have seen reports of people getting two bad power supplies in a row, but both times they were cheapies. The Antecs are pretty good, and you have plenty of power.

I have an 8800GTS (almost identical to GTX260 in power consumption) in an OC'd Q6600 system and it's powered by by a 550 watt Antec.

My next recommendation is to strip everything out of the case and breadboard the system.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
If after breadboarding you get nothing, I'd either go with a gut feeling and RMA one of them randomly. Or both. Or if only one still has warranty, that one.

Much better to do that than spend money to get another CPU and mobo to figure out whats wrong.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I ran into an old buddy from high school. He does noting but diag/repair computers for a living and with all of the steps I've taken he said it is most likely the motherboard voltage controler. So I will be talking to Gigabyte about RMA'ing the motherboard.