Are modern HD partitions physically pie shaped?

iwuzicarus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hello, In googling for fastest access speed partitioning strategy I came across the following claim that seems to put to the lie almost all the partitioning advice extent on the net. I'm wondering does anyone know if it's true and if it is, on what OS's/partitioning programs/hard disks/HD controllers? What software is capable of circumventing this?
::: Jaslll4396 12-14-2009 at 07:04:22 PM (but edited by me)
2. You can't short stroke your drive by just simply formating it to 1/2 or 1/4 capacity. Most large drives have more than one platter. Secondly, your software is partioning the platter in a pie slice format to maintain consistant performance on the drive. You need special software to short stroke your hard drive. Also short stroking does not give you more speed. It just lets partiton the inner portion of the platter (slowest section) so you can use it for storing data.
4. Short Stroking performance test done by most people show no increase in speed because they did not partiton the hardware properly or they are smart enough to not have data congesting the boot drive. This would be the case for most home users who have tried this. Storing data in a seperate partion does not help because your slicing the hard drive platter up in pie shape partions. This is why they recommed you partition your drive as one big drive for better performance. Think about it. If you partitioned a hard drive in 1/2 to run dual booting you will not see one boot drive run faster than the other. The partitions are pie shaped. Standard partitioning will not seperate the inner area from the outer area of your drive platter

rusabus

Distinguished
May 19, 2007

Partitions are not stored in pie-shaped wedges on the physical platters. They are circular in nature - all the data starts a certain distance from the edge of the platter(s) and ends somewhere closer to the center. There would be absolutely no reason to make them pie-shaped.

Latest posts