Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

GTX 260 or HD 5770 -- What brand? (edited subject)

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 15, 2009 2:14:22 AM

Greetings Gurus,

I'm shopping for a new video card to put on my Christmas list, and I've narrowed it down to either the GTX 260 or 275, depending on how much she loves me.

Question 1: Is the difference in performance incredibly significant? I'm currently scraping every last bit of usefulness out of my GeForce 7950 GT, so either way I figure it will be an enormous leap forward and I'll be impressed. Just looking for most bang for buck with newer games.

Question 2: As if choosing the architecture weren't complicated enough, I'm staring down about 5 different brands of the same card, each a little different, and with surprisingly varied prices. I'm leaning in the direction of an Asus card, if for no other reason I'm running an Asus motherboard, and I know they've always been fairly reliable. What direction should I be looking in, brand-wise?

Thanks in advance for any clarification and recommendations you can offer.

EDIT: I was originally steering clear of ATI, as I have since my Radeon 8500. Research on Direct X 11 has me leaning toward an HD 5770 as a reasonable bang-for-buck card, so I altered the subject of the thread.

More about : gtx 260 5770 brand edited subject

November 15, 2009 2:22:34 AM

the brands don't matter
the difference in performance really isn't noticable
just get the cheapest you can find, as long as the name is the same, as in Evga GTX 260
i'm not saying that's the cheapest, just an example
also if you decide to get the Gtx 260 you should make sure you have the 216 version

You might want to look at Ati cards such as the HD 4890
remember though, you won't get dx 11 with these generation video cards
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2009 2:25:47 AM

I think XFX (good warranty in the US) and EVGA are pretty standard for NVidia cards. I do have an Asus card though, and it works fine.

Either card will be a huge leap forward, so trust me, either way you will be happy. I don't think the difference is very large, as isn't the 275 mainly a die shrink? Maybe faster clocks too.
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2009 3:20:47 AM

Right now, since the price of the GTX 275s is still relatively high compared to the newer ATI Cards, ill get a 260.

Nothing on the market yet pushes it hard enough and i can still run it on anygame (except crysis) on high settings. But atm I got two cards running, 1 EVGA 1 Asus,

In order of manufacturers, i'd go EVGA , BFG, Asus, and so on... PNY,, dont think about it
m
l
November 15, 2009 5:03:09 AM

What CPU are you running? It could cause a bottleneck with a newer card. Look into ATi cards as well, an HD4890 or GTX 260 should be lovely.
m
l
November 16, 2009 12:39:01 AM

I'm running a Phenom II X4 920, so I'm thinking cpu bottleneck is not a huge concern.

Ehsan, you mentioned no DX 11 with this generation of graphics cards, but by the time I can afford a DX 11 video card, Dx 12 will be around the corner.

I have noticed the ATI cards support Dx 10.1, though, and Nvidia does not. Is that a huge concern?

m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 1:22:45 AM

ubernoob said:
I'm running a Phenom II X4 920, so I'm thinking cpu bottleneck is not a huge concern.

Ehsan, you mentioned no DX 11 with this generation of graphics cards, but by the time I can afford a DX 11 video card, Dx 12 will be around the corner.

I have noticed the ATI cards support Dx 10.1, though, and Nvidia does not. Is that a huge concern?

To be more specific, ATi actually supports DX11 in their 5000 series cards, but as well known, there are no DX 11 games currently out.
The difference between DX10 and DX10.1 is minimal ( I believe).
m
l
November 16, 2009 1:35:44 AM

Yes, further research has me leaning towards the HD 5770. There are no Dx 11 games out now, but I don't like to upgrade every year, and it looks like Dx 11 is the real deal, so I'll want in later.

So I'm thinking HD 5770, but then the question about brands starts all over again. I shifted away from ATI after the Radeon 8500 catastrophe and have been with Nvidia ever since, so I know nothing about ATI card manufacturers.

Perhaps it's time to go back.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 1:36:35 AM

Well, DX10.1 does help a bit when it's implemented, but that is so rare that its benefit is minimal.
m
l
November 16, 2009 11:27:26 AM

Ok, so here's what I'm thinking:

For my budget, it's either an HD 5770 or a GeForce 260GTX. My research suggests the 260GTX will out-perform an HD 5770 on most games currently out there, but the ATI card has Directx 11 support.

I used to stick to ATI, but after the Radeon 8500 I left for Nvidia's driver stability. I'm afraid to go back.

Most game developers still seem to prioritize Nvidia cards over ATI cards (or Nvidia has done a better job of convincing me that's true), and I've never had problems with their drivers. I've heard ATI's drivers have improved substantially, but again: Radeon 8500. Still scared.

I'm running an Asus M3N78 Pro motherboard and a 600 Watt PSU, so crossfire is right out of the question anyway. I'm more a one-card kind of guy, anyway.

I tend towards RPG and MMO games lately, but with this last piece of an upgrade in place, my system will be shooter-capable again, and I may want to try out some of the newer games out there, if for no other reason than to see all the pretty.

So is Nvidia still the way to go for stability and optimization (emphasis on stability), or is the DirectX 11 support going to prove more valuable in the long run than anything the 260GTX has to offer?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 4:48:56 PM

Well, I personaly have had very little issue with ATI driver stability. Over the past few years, I have had very few crashes due to the drivers alone. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. The 260 is probably a little faster now (in current games), though recent beta drivers show the 5000s many be going up in performance soon (but that remains to be seen). And finally, the wildcard, DX11. It looks really good, lots of potential, but if a game you want doesn't use it or your 5770 is too slow by then, then DX11 will be useless. Just some things to consider.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 5:03:00 PM

ubernoob said:
Ok, so here's what I'm thinking:

For my budget, it's either an HD 5770 or a GeForce 260GTX. My research suggests the 260GTX will out-perform an HD 5770 on most games currently out there, but the ATI card has Directx 11 support.

I used to stick to ATI, but after the Radeon 8500 I left for Nvidia's driver stability. I'm afraid to go back.

Most game developers still seem to prioritize Nvidia cards over ATI cards (or Nvidia has done a better job of convincing me that's true), and I've never had problems with their drivers. I've heard ATI's drivers have improved substantially, but again: Radeon 8500. Still scared.

I'm running an Asus M3N78 Pro motherboard and a 600 Watt PSU, so crossfire is right out of the question anyway. I'm more a one-card kind of guy, anyway.

I tend towards RPG and MMO games lately, but with this last piece of an upgrade in place, my system will be shooter-capable again, and I may want to try out some of the newer games out there, if for no other reason than to see all the pretty.

So is Nvidia still the way to go for stability and optimization (emphasis on stability), or is the DirectX 11 support going to prove more valuable in the long run than anything the 260GTX has to offer?

It's very simple; don't let people make this complicated for you. The advantages of the GTX 260 is that the raw non-DirectX 11 performance will be better. The advantage of the HD 5770 is that it will use less power and it supports DirectX 11 (and may very well outperform the GTX 260 in DX11 games). As far as drivers goes NVidia has a much worse track record in the last few years than ATi. NVidia drivers caused the majority of Windows Vista driver instability; we've yet to see what happens with 7.

Also, for the guy who said there's no DirectX 11 games think again. There's plenty on the way and two have already been released. Keep in mind CryEngine 3 is also going to be built with DirectX 11 in mind...
m
l
November 16, 2009 8:01:09 PM

So DirectX 11 support, lower power consumption, cheaper, and the potential for improved performance with evolving drivers.

I've been happy with NVidia, and the 260 GTX looks like a nice card, but I think the scale is definitely leaning toward the HD 5770.

The benchmarks I've seen only have the 260GTX slightly ahead of the 5770 anyway. It probably won't be a hugely noticeable difference on less demanding games, will it?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 8:10:00 PM

No, I doubt you would notice any difference (other than in DX11 games).
m
l
a c 131 U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 8:23:53 PM

Looks like your leaning the right way ;)  . brockh is about the only one here who is making any sense, all the others read as if they are trying to give advice on something they dont really know too much about.
Its really quite a simple question with a very simple answer. DX11 brings too many advantages to be ignored, provided you are running an Operating system that is DX11 capable of course. Vista can be updated to DX11 and W7 supports it out of the box.
If you are still running XP and have no plans, budget or wish to change then there is little point even considering DX11. However if you are DX11 capable then in my opinion you would be mad not to get the DX11 card. The two cards are very similar performance wise and driver updates should take the 5770 past the 260 performance wise. If you are using a big resolution the 128 bit interface may be a cause to consider the 260 instead but certainly up to 1680x1050 i wouldnt let it bother you.
Anything i havent covered please ask.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
November 16, 2009 9:57:37 PM

I'm on Win XP now (Vista didn't seem quite right to me), but I plan on upgrading to Windows 7 in the next few months.

Thank you all for the tips, it's been very helpful!
m
l
November 17, 2009 1:51:38 AM

In all the excitement, I forgot one of the principle focus points of the thread!

Is there a particular manufacturer I should steer toward or away from? Asus makes a 5770, Sapphire's been around a while if I'm not mistaken.

Which ones are the good ones, or does it not really matter like with the Nvidia cards?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 2:03:54 AM

ubernoob said:
In all the excitement, I forgot one of the principle focus points of the thread!

Is there a particular manufacturer I should steer toward or away from? Asus makes a 5770, Sapphire's been around a while if I'm not mistaken.

Which ones are the good ones, or does it not really matter like with the Nvidia cards?

I'd probably get the ASUS one. ASUS 5 series have volterra chips that allow you to modify the voltage resulting in excellent overclocking performance. Various reviews show you can gain up to 15% performance, and it basically walks you through it. That'll put you at or above GTX 260 performance; I'd definitely take the Asus 5770 over a GTX 260 no questions asked.
November 17, 2009 5:44:18 AM

impressive dialogues .
m
l
a c 131 U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 7:03:58 AM

brockh said:
I'd probably get the ASUS one. ASUS 5 series have volterra chips that allow you to modify the voltage resulting in excellent overclocking performance. Various reviews show you can gain up to 15% performance, and it basically walks you through it. That'll put you at or above GTX 260 performance; I'd definitely take the Asus 5770 over a GTX 260 no questions asked.

Big +1 to that,
Its definatly the way I would go as well

Mactronix
m
l
November 17, 2009 5:10:05 PM

Sold! Asus HD 5770 it is.

Thanks for the help everyone, I was in the tall grass.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2010 10:42:26 AM

well I know this thing is solved, but since I was doing some research on GTX 260's, I'll add my comment.
classic GTX 260 does outperform classic HD 5770, no question asked there (if we are talking in general, with dx11 games they might get closer, or even sometimes HD could do better, but thats just game-to-game ocasion).. now, if we are talking about overclocked/driven cards as somebody was pointing out here, just have a glance on GigaByte GTX260 SO (GV-N26SO-896I) 896MB, PCI-E or ASUS VGA ENGTX260 MATRIX/HTDP/896MB DDR3 2S,2xDVI-I,aHDMI,PCIe2, those cards are just deadly when overclocked.. The first one is manufacturaly pre-overclocked already to 680/1466/2500 MHz if we're talking about core/shader/memory frequency.. but furthermore you can get stable on 735/1570/2500 MHz (making 11308 GPU points in 3DMark Ventage).. The other one was STABLE (it went through rough 3-days test), acording to a review (of course, it differs from card-to-card) at 794/1628/2500 MHz (making 12326 GPU points in 3DMark Ventage).. . Now if we look at classic GTX model which runs at 575/1196/1998 MHz frequency you can see more than 30% gain.. and thas.. well WOW :) . Furthermore, this card supports PhysX, which, even though it isn't a mach for dx11, helps quite a bit.
as brockh said, if you take the classic model of GTX 260 and have it against overclocked HD 5770, you have a clear winner, but if both cards are overclocked, than GTX 260 performs much much better even in terms of dx11 games (mostly due to problems with HD 5770 overclocking issues such as proper cooling - you can't really overclock them as much as you can with GTX cards)
to sum it up, basic GTX 260 performs better in most occasions + if you take the gap in OC, than its even better, you have PhysX and with such performance (you get nearly as much GTX 280, minimaly as much as GTX 275 for better price) you won't have any issues playing those new games :) . The only con I would see is really dx11 (which could be easily gotten with performance) and the price as GTX 260 costs a bit more
m
l