Sign in with
Your question

Can I install Windows XP on this system?

Last response: in Windows XP
May 6, 2012 1:33:33 AM

Hi guys,

I am trying have a dual os on my system but I been reading that windows XP is not compatible or have issues with some newer hardware. I need to run some SCSI controllers which doesn't work on Windows 7. I will post my specs below for review.

My current computer:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

If this doesn't work can someone post some links on some cheap computer that runs windows and have plenty of pci and/or pci-e slots?

thanks

More about : install windows system

May 6, 2012 6:37:53 AM

CloudOne said:
Hi guys,

I am trying have a dual os on my system but I been reading that windows XP is not compatible or have issues with some newer hardware. I need to run some SCSI controllers which doesn't work on Windows 7. I will post my specs below for review.

My current computer:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

If this doesn't work can someone post some links on some cheap computer that runs windows and have plenty of pci and/or pci-e slots?

thanks

Windows XP compatibility mode comes in handy. And its a built-in feature in Windows 7. You can choose to run any program under its compatibility mode according to Windows version requirement.
http://www.techmynd.com/windows-xp-compatibility-mode-v...
m
l
May 6, 2012 1:21:14 PM

Thanks for your response. The compatibility mode only runs software and doesn't contain the drivers needed to use the scsi controller. Thats is why I need windows xp original unless im am mistaken. Sigh i feel the only option is to buy a refurb computer.
m
l
May 26, 2012 8:59:13 AM

Sorry this is so delayed, but for whatever you are doing, have you considered just making a virtual machine(of Windows XP) in something such as Oracle Virtualbox(free) or VMWare(not free)? It would not be as performance based as if you had installed it as a dual boot, but you will be able to do work and all.
m
l
Related resources
!