Help! PSU death killed other components?

tjmcvey2011

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Ok so my brand new 600w PSU died on me today and I think it took the MOBO(ASUS HDMI) with it. I have already RMA'd the PSU and MOBO but my question is,could the short in the PSU have also killed anything else it was connected to? (HDD,CD/DVD,CPU?!,RAM?) Please help me so I'll know whether to report more RMA's.

tjmcvey2011

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Unfortunely no,it was some crappy PSU that came with the case. Lead Power was the brand I think. I think once I get the replacement back,I'll sell it and buy an Antec from Staples.

RPB1975

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

I am having this same problem except that it is not on a new build (thank goodness). My old PSU went, so I replaced it with a new one so that I could keep my previous build as my HTPC...no such luck.

The computer powers one, but it doesn't appear to post and I get nada in the video department. I tried replacing the video card, removing some ram, unplugging everything else (HDD, DVD-Burner, etc), but all of it was to no avail. I thought about getting a new motherboard, but I have no way of knowing if that is the only thing that went. If not, then I will waste more money.

Any help is appreciated...I am sure the that OP will be appreciative as well ;)