Formated/Reinstall Windows XP on drive "C" but I cant open my Data folder in Dri

rominho

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hello,
I run my PC on Windows XX, my hard disk has 2 partitions "C" for the OS and "D" where I keep all my stuff "safe".
Yesterday I formated and reinstall windows on driver C (as I had done countless times).
Just time time I'm unable to open the folder that used to be "My Documents" on drive D, I can open other folders on drive D but not that one folder where 95% of my stuff is. When I hover over it, it shows "Folder Empty" but it's not empty because the drive shows 64GB used which is the data used by that one folder. When I try to open it it says D:\Documents is not accessible Access Denied.

Any chance that I can recover content oif that folder?

rominho

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
How do I do that? I never had to.
As I said I've formatted my windows drive countless times and it never happened before.

rominho

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

OK ... went on safe mode and took ownership of the folder ... now can access all files, the problem is that I can only do that on safe mode. If go on full operanting windows I still have the same problem. (at least I know that my files are still there)

Any more advices?

You don't have ownership when in normal mode?

An alternate solution is to copy them elsewhere (to an internal or external drive), delete the folder, recreate it and copy the files back. Since you only have 64 GB of data, that shouldn't take more than a few minutes.