System Rebuild for HTPC Use

RPB1975

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: In a week hopefully.

BUDGET RANGE: 300-400 dollars. (I plan on running XP...maybe Windows 7)

Note: I already have a great Mid-ATX Cooler Master Case, 500 Watt BFG Power Supply, Samsung DVD-Burner, Soundblaster Audigy 2 PCI Sound Card, 3 IDE Hard Drives, 3 Gb of PC3200 Dual Channel Ram (I don't know if this will work with a current generation of hardware (not bleeding edge, but the last few generations), and I have a wireless card.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Internet (streaming videos, TV, Movies,
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers.)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg! I pretty much only buy from newegg, but I care about price here, so if you think something else is better...please let me know.

PARTS PREFERENCES: This is where I really need help. I am and intel nVidia guy, but I think I have to go AMD and ATI to keep this build close to $300 (Keep in mind the pieces I already have)

OVERCLOCKING: NO

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: quiet, efficient computer.

I would like to order the components ASAP, and I know some of you can really help me in the AMD/ATI department. Still feel free to suggest an Intel/nVidia build, but keep in mind the budget. By the way, the budget is because I just build a $3,000 workstation PC. This one has to be much, much cheaper ;)

Thanks in advance. You guys rock!