OC My GTX 560 Ti

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I'm looking to OC my GPU a bit... nothing extreme but just to get more aquainted with the process. How do i do it? its an EVGA 560 Ti. I have the program that came with it called Precision.

How should i proceed?

thx

Solution
msi afterburner is better?
In my opinion, yes.

When they say "increase the core" what do they mean?

351sjfm.png

So the first slider is the Core Voltage. You probably won't be able to change that. It's ok.

The second slider is the Core Clock. It is linked with the third slider, the Shader Clock. When you move one, the other also moves.

The third slider is the Memory Clock.

The fourth slider is the Fan Speed. In MSI Afterburner Settings, under the Fan tab, check the "Enable user defined software automatic fan control" box. Then click OK, and check that the "Auto" button is on as well as the User Define one. You can also tweek the settings to your preferences. Then click "Apply". It should look...

blackshadowzx

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
well im not expert at over clocking but you should open the program and program and you would see

core clock

shader clock

and memory clock

and core voltage(dont touch that now0

what you need to do is increase the core like 50mhz and put the card on stress and see if it is stable or not like artifacts apperaing if nothing happens then try a game see if there is an increase in preformance keep on doing that until it begins to be unstable then reduce the core clock by 2-3mhz until it becomes stable again and then return the core clock to defualt anddo the same with the shader clock and the memory clock alone and then try them togther until you find a stable clock

warning dont touch the voltage until you now what your doing increase in voltage well increase heat which may make your gpu toast

you see wee increase voltage to stable instable clocks

see some advance guide if your going to increase voltage hope it helps :D

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Oh... i get it. its the first one. in their test they increased graphics to 950 mhz and memory to 2149 mhz. but they don't mention the processor clock. should i touch this?

also, to test i need furmark to run for 4 hours?? that seems like a lot. do i just let it run and periodically return to check if everything is still running and there are no artifacts on the screen?

al360ex

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
msi afterburner is better?
In my opinion, yes.

When they say "increase the core" what do they mean?

351sjfm.png

So the first slider is the Core Voltage. You probably won't be able to change that. It's ok.

The second slider is the Core Clock. It is linked with the third slider, the Shader Clock. When you move one, the other also moves.

The third slider is the Memory Clock.

The fourth slider is the Fan Speed. In MSI Afterburner Settings, under the Fan tab, check the "Enable user defined software automatic fan control" box. Then click OK, and check that the "Auto" button is on as well as the User Define one. You can also tweek the settings to your preferences. Then click "Apply". It should look just like the picture does.

And now, for the overclocking part. First, you must increase the Core Clock/Shader Clock by about 20MHz and click on "Apply". Then run MSI Kombustor (click on the "K" on the left side of the program window, just under the logo) for about 10 minutes. You must check for artifacts and incorrect picture rendition.

These here are all examples of what artifacts look like :
http://goo.gl/cxc3O
http://goo.gl/kXnqs
http://goo.gl/2gCea
http://goo.gl/NLIOm
http://goo.gl/XqBoq

If you see anything like that during the testing, then lower the Core Clock/Shader Clock by 10MHz and retest for 10 minutes. If it passes the test, then up the Core Clock by 5MHz and test again. Do that until you've reached the highest stable Core Clock your card can reach. Then run Kombustor for at least 2 hours and check occasionally for artifacts. If none appear, then I'd recommend running 3DMark 11 for at least 3 passes at the highest settings possible. If you don't see any artifacts, your temps are not too high and nothing crashes, then we can move on to overclocking the Memory.

It's the same method used for the Core Clock, however, I'd go by increments of 50MHz, then if it crashes, go back 25MHz and try again until you've reached a stable overclock.
With memory overclocking, you should expect complete crashes and computer reboots. It's normal. I don't know why the crashes are more severe when you overclock your VRAM than when you try to overclock the Core, but that's my personal experience.

I hope that helped,
al360ex

Edit : I almost forgot, sometimes on websites they'll see they were able to reach 5000MHz on the memory for example. Since it's GDDR5 memory, you have to divide that by 2 in Afterburner. So the software will show you a memory at 2500MHz.

Solution

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
wow dude... you are a God amongst men...

I will give this a shot at home. i may just up it a little at first, not go to the extreme max possible without crashing or whatnot and then try this after. but i printed it all out and will def give it a shot. you even included pics of the artifacts.

thanks so much!