I7 975 Extreme Edition in ASUS Rampage II Extreme with dual GTX 295's

Rubiks_Cube

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
G'day guys,

I am attempting my first complete build up, and its a scary one. I would just like to hear the local opinions on what i plan to do. So far i have not made any purchases. I am looking at putting something like this together:

CPU - i7 975 Extreme Edition, http://www.megaware.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=195_196&products_id=90159

MOBO - ASUS Rampage II Extreme, http://www.megaware.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=85439

RAM - Corsair DDR3, 7-7-7-20, 1333 MHz, 2 GB, cards X 6 (12GB total), http://www.megaware.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=239_243&products_id=91079

GPU - Dual ASUS GTX 295 in SLI, http://www.ddcomputer.com.au/prod-E...E2.0_Graphic_Card_(ENGTX295-2DI-1792MD3).html

HDD - A couple of Western digital 1TB SATA 2 @ 7200 RPMs, http://www.megaware.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=87321

This what i will be my setup basically. I don't think i will be wanting to do any overclocking, although it seems really easy with the MOBO tweakit setup. Will i need to look at water cooling? Or is air cooling ok. Also what PSU would you recommend? Lastly, i really have no idea what kind of case to put it in. I guess i need something big to fit it all in, i am looking at using 2 BluRay drives as well, and an 8 in 1 card reader. I guess i want something that both looks good and keeps everything nice and cool.

Do you have any suggestions for me of any kind? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Oh i almost forgot, one last question. What is the general consensus on Solid State Disk Drives? Are they worth the extreme price, or are they just over rated?

Cheers again guys,

Daniel

tecmo34

Administrator

Cades

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009

Lol, whoop might be a tad exaggerated.

Considering a single 5850 didn't beat the 295 in any benchmarks, that is quite the stretch and the 5870 and 295 were fairly similar.

Cades

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
But it does seem pointless in buying any Nvidia Vid card right now. I have used nothing but nvidia cards in the past.

Direct x11 on all the new ati boards is nice, lower power, etc. Even the 5770 Crossfire benchmarks I have seen have shown to be very nice for the price and great performance.

Rubiks_Cube

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well thank you all for your comments. I didn't plan on doing any overclocking, that's why i was looking at the i7 975, but i would like to have the option later down the track. Overclocking... hmmmm, OCing a 920 to speeds that of a 975? How much can you get out of a 975 safely, with an air cooled system? That is one of my other reasons for opting for the 975 vs the 920.

As for my choice of GPU's, all research i have conducted thus far has suggested that they are the best on the market at the moment, all round anyway. They did have a lower score for some games in particular, but overall, they had a slight edge on the competition.

As for using the SSD for my OS, i like that idea. It does look a little expensive, but their speed and accuracy is just too tasty to pass up.

niklas_13 suggested that the mobo was overkill... what is overkill when you are trying to build an ultimate gaming monster? Besides, i would like to have the option to overclock in the future, when i learn how to do it safely.

Any more thoughts?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^Hey, as always and typically if you want a cpu other then the i7 920 you hear
"Dewd, you can get can the 920 and o'erclock it to the 975 dewd"
"Dewd don't waste your money"
and...etc
I say, if you have the money then go for it. the 975 will definatly overclock higher then the 920 because of its much higher stock clocks. Its good processor. If you want something like this it obviosly means you have money to spare so I am right with you.
In addition get two Intel SSD's and Raid them for Xtreme performance(They make a MASSIVE DIFFERENCE). And i'd wait for just a couple weeks or maybe a month for the release of the Nvidia DX11 cards and buy them.
-Air cooling will be fine, get this cooler:
Cooler Master V8 Cpu Cooler
^Its an excellent cooler for your processor and costs around 60 dollars on sites like newegg.
A good PSU is this
Corsair 850HX Modular Power Supply Unit
^It will support your system very well and its good quality, also sold on sites like newegg for around 150-160dollars.
-For your case you can get a nice Lian-Li, Thermaltake Armor, or some other quality and well cooled case, if you are stuck and can't choose i can recommend one for you.
-Other then that, great build :) Have fun with a really powerful processor and an excellent Motherboard.

If you read your first post it does not say anywhare that you might OC @ a latter time. So Thats why i said the mobo is overkill, a $200 board will do the same thing a 400 board will do if your not OCing.

I am with blackhawk on this one, If you have the money and want the best of the best and dont care you payed 1500 more for 15 % Performance gain by all means go for it !!! (numbers not to scale )

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Please don't let any kind of fear of overclocking make you waste $1,000 on the i7 975. There are a lot of resources here and it's really not /that/ hard. You just need to read a couple of guides and remember a few rules and you're fine. I have my 920 at 3.2 GHz right now.

Here's the case I'm using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194&cm_re=storm_sniper-_-11-119-194-_-Product

It's really roomy, has enough space for my 4870X2 and will accomodate the reported length of the 5970 (two 5870s on one board).

And there's good space for whatever kind of cooling solution you choose to implement.

Seriously consider scrapping the 975 for the 920. It's the best change you can make.

Rubiks_Cube

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Bloody Oath... definitely not looking for those kinds of speeds, that's just insane.

That thing would be hotter than the surface of the sun itself!

After reviewing the insane price of my dream build, how hard would it be to keep an overclocked 920 cool without delving into water cooling (something i have no idea about, nor how to do)?

Also what would be the next best Mother board?

Rubiks_Cube

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

^Absolutely, i read some reviews and watched a few youtube videos on this case and it looks pretty awesome. Definitely a goer. Thanks mate.

^A few people have mentioned this same PSU, leading to have some faith in it. After some more reviews, i am solidly confident in it. Cheers again to you, and the other guys who have recommended it.

^A few guys have also mentioned this particular SSD. I have done some reading up on this too, and i am feeling confident that it will have a positive effect on my intended build.

Thanks again for your help mate. I am leaning more towards the idea of overclocking an i7 920, but as blackhawk192 said, i do have the extra cash at the moment. I think that while i have the opportunity to go for the 975 i might as well. Plus, imagine owning an overclocked 975!

Anyway, i know it looks like i am flopping like a fish on the deck over the CPU, but i just cant make my mind up yet, is that a crime? lol.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Overclocking the processors is easy on air cooling, you just need a well ventilated case, an excellent CPU cooler like the one i recommended for you (coolermaster V8), and good thermal paste like artic silver or something. If you have that you are set.
-As i said earlier, you have the money for it, go for it by all means. The i7 975 you won't even need to overclock it because its stock speed is already at 3.33ghz and if you do, it will be much easier to get it higher then the 920. Moreover, when the core i9 comes out, the i7 920 will be worth less then the dirt stuck on the bottom of my shoe and the 975 will still be worth a huge amount and still have selling value. Therefore you will be able to sell it and upgrade to an i9 when you want.