Waterblocks for gtx680?

The thing just came out today, so it might be a little while before blocks start appearing en masse. I want a 680 badly, and I'm glad I bought a uni block - only costs me $5 to upgrade my block :D

Lutfij

Titan
hmm, i was thinking about the blocks on the nvidia cards...might just go for the hydrocopper evga cards when they come out - has a full cover block,you get compression fittings standard and ports on both sides. Plus its an all copper block from swiftech. so total, cost of GTX 680+waterblock=dunno, while an evga hydrocopper version costs equally the same.

:/ my opinion though.

and yeah - i want a GTX680 as well :)

True, but then again usually the hydrocoppers are single slot GPUs. The 680 isn't since it needs all 4 display connections.

I wonder how it's going to do in real tests with multiple displays. NVidia says you can game with 3 displays in Surround while running a 4th for internet/etc.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
load-temp.png

quite a bit of heat still.

I think it has some OC potential, but with temps like that you'd need water to keep them down enough to even try.

You'd also want LC in SLI - no way one of those cards won't overheat...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Freedom of Speech edited out by Mod

Moderating questionable language that is against forum rules (that a user chooses to agree upon when their account is created) is NOT a violation of freedom of speech. If you do not feel that the rules of the forum apply to you, then you can also choose not to post on these forums. This was discussed in a PM, but since you brought it out publicly, I will also publicly mention why it was edited. There was an instance of a disrespectful terminology used which could have just as simply have been replaced with different wording to achieve the exact same message.

Thing is why would you want to water cool the GTX 680 there is no point they are already cool and quite and water will not net anymore performance so ...

You will get more performance from any graphics card you water cool with a full coverage water block, load temperatures drop on an average of 40c leaving serious overclocking headroom.

The 480GTX in this review dropped 45c, from my own personal experience my 580GTX dropped 40C leaving plenty of safe overclocking headroom.

I may be the Black Sheep of water cooling here because I don't do it for looks, I do it for performance gains period, and you will get increased overclocking performance water cooling a 680GTX.

The 680GTX just hit the market you need to allow the water block makers time to catch up, sometimes not always the first available will be the best performing block anyway.

There could be a certain amount of caution to see what EVGA does out of the gate, they did release the 580GTX reference cards in 2 flavors, with an integrated heat spreader and without an integrated heat spreader, so what will they do regarding the 680GTX?

My 2 cents! Ryan

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Graphics cards are one piece of hardware that benefit enormously from watercooling, especially if overclocking and/or volt modding to achieve even higher clocks. There is just something fascinating knowing that your video card(s) are pumping away at nearly full load (depending on application) and seeing that their temps are reading 40C when your buddy next to you could fry a burger on his 80C card.

The 680GTX just hit the market you need to allow the water block makers time to catch up, sometimes not always the first available will be the best performing block anyway.

My 2 cents! Ryan

Agreed- they just released and you typically only see a couple blocks at first. You'll start to see several more in the next couple weeks, so don't worry. The GTX 680 appears to a card that should make a big splash for it's performance and price point.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The GTX 680 is already clocked at over 1ghz stock it's not getting any faster on liquid period there is no room for improvement before the card hits the architectural limits it's not even about heat cause the sock cooling offers OCing head room galore but it just the physical limits 1ghz stock man that very very high already.

Please provide proof of your claims- this card has been out only 1 day. There isn't a lot of published information to support or negate your argument due to the fact theses GPUs were just released. Simply suggesting that something is or is not possible based on personal opinion is not a valid basis for debate.

With voltage modding, you can often reach higher limits of clock speeds, if you know what you are doing.

30-40 C drop in temps is really why I do it.

Lutfij

Titan
@ rubix - i was just about to say that. All that bland blah blah about it without the rest of the board makers unique offerings.

Simply suggesting that something is or is not possible based on personal opinion is not a valid basis for debate.
and a violation of Tom's rules - as this has to be verified or resulting in penalty (if my memory serves me well)

@ jetsons robot - read the google find above you :)

turbo boost gives a small increment, however, evga has showcased its own power delivery ssytem and cooling method - meaning higher OC's than 100Mhz

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I would expect to see some thorough testing done with reports on performance of the stock cards. There will also be crops of forum testers that will volt mod the card and see any additional speed that can be had. Between volt mods and BIOS modding, you can coax more performance out of a stock card if you know what you are doing.

Thing is why would you want to water cool the GTX 680 there is no point they are already cool and quite and water will not net anymore performance so ...

Some just like keeping their cards under a good block so they don't have to worry about cooling much at all or just bragging rights. However for a small few that actually do hardware mods to their cards this is about the only real solution for cooling. One of my favorite mods is where the pcb of another but older card is cut just to salvage the power vrm and use that to supplement the one of the modded card. EVGA has a board that they sell where one only has to mount and solder the connections.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'd like to reiterate- this is the watercooling forum. The reason members post here is because they choose to watercool components within their PC; not out of necessity. Please understand this cooling option is more of a hobby and advanced cooling choice for those who may wish to push hardware further than stock.

If you do not have any information to post on the thread subject and simply continue to respond with the intent of provoking an argument, this is classified as 'trolling' in the forum rules and is prohibited.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Some cards do not need to be water cooled maybe OP was under the impression that GTX 680 needs to be water cooled and I saved him a few bucks ... and thanks for throwing the book at me real mature ;-)

This was your opinion of the matter, but did not ask the OP if this was the actual question, therefore not a valid basis for how you've worded your replies. The fact that the question was posed as a topic discussion seemed to imply the OP is looking for or interested in a waterblock for these cards.

TRENDING THREADS