WinXP Home shutting down after startup(by itself)?!!??

recently I shutdown- system hung for a few minutes... not
the first time- eventually it completed shutdown. Went to
restart and got welcome screen, then @ 30 seconds later
screen displays "windows is shutting down"...

Anyone got a clue?
I did finally do a safe boot and recover to last weeks
restore point and : so far so good, but will I be doing
this restore process many more times?
1 answer Last reply
More about winxp home shutting startup itself

    Can't say, not sure what caused it.

    I would make sure your antivirus software is up to date and do a scan of
    your system as the symptom is that of some viruses we've seen lately.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "warren d" <wallyberger1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > recently I shutdown- system hung for a few minutes... not
    > the first time- eventually it completed shutdown. Went to
    > restart and got welcome screen, then @ 30 seconds later
    > screen displays "windows is shutting down"...
    >
    > Anyone got a clue?
    > I did finally do a safe boot and recover to last weeks
    > restore point and : so far so good, but will I be doing
    > this restore process many more times?

Configuration Microsoft Shutdown Windows XP