Asus 6950 waterblock

Lutfij

Titan
full covers you say? the DCII's are all on non reference pcb's though - maybe try to look for universal blocks by swiftech, xspc and ek.

if i were you i'd stay away from the nickel'd blocks from EK and also you'll need to cross reference your GPU pcb to see if the full cover blocks such as the heatkiller 6870 full cover blocks isn't going to cause a problem with the vrms.

i mentioned heatkiller 6870 because the revised/non reference pcb for 6950/6970 are the same size as a 6870 but i know that the asus' have vrm's in odd places.

+1. I believe these cards are fully customized PCBs, so even the 6870 blocks might not fit.

Here's your card's PCB
600x328px-LL-e0a51291_ASUS_EAH6950_DCII_pcb.jpg

...and here's a 6870. Completely different VRM layout.
6870_naked.jpg

You'll have to go for universal blocks + RAMsinks. I have Swiftech's MCW82 and it performs quite well. Switched from an EK full cover block and performs almost identically (since I hit my ambient temperature in the winter).

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Nice work Boiler & Lutfij.

Looks like all he would need would be a uni block and RAMsinks given the VRM layout and heatsink already in place.

Am I seeing that correctly? That's a triple slot card? Interesting- ASUS seems to make some of the most oddly-designed cards. Remember the ASUS dual 7800GT card? It even came with an external power brick and a PCI-e power connector.

P_568.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121213

Sorry, back to regularly scheduled programming. :)

Its the same as my two Rubix,
I chose EK's vga hf supremes to go on mine because I'm modding to keep the fans and shroud (looks over nickel presence :p)
But yes, there are no fullcovers that will fit our lovely Asus 6950's
Uni's all the way mate, don't forget the ramsinks for the vrm,
Moto

Lutfij

Titan
you know, i'm finding the uni+ramsink combo a really smart deal. I think i'll just go that way instead of the full covers.

asus even have a custom triple slot bracket...with a full cover taking one slot, that would cause crossfiring multiple DCII 6950's an issue.

Asus sure like to do things differently, a lil too dif...like the dual 5870 ARES card - try watercooling that sucker! while xfx came out with their passively cooled 7950GT... damn the way tech was back then and the prices :ouch:

@ rubix - appreciate that coming from you mate! thanks

@ modo - you don't plan on upgrading your gpu's? i ask since you're modding the gpu shroud :/ its cool but...:/

@ bioler - ahh, the winter ambients :( i was at ambient on a 3.4 Ghz OC on my Q9550

Not sure I follow mate,
if you have space between cards for a tripleslot cooler,
you have room for a f/c block and theres plenty of mobo's that will fit these cards
its only the Pci bracket thats three slots in that situation, once the Hs and shroud are removed, and the lowest one is just grill so you could cut that out if you wanted to,
Moto