P55 new system questions

SHIELDHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
ok so, i decided to go w/ a completely new system since i have an AMD based AM2+ which sux and the new P55 are at a great price point. Hears what i know i have for sure:

EVGA P55 (standard board, not FTW)
Ultra L3 750W PSU (from my old system)
GTX 275 FTW (from my old system)
Standard DVD drive (from my old system)
Ultra case (from my old system)

so my questions are which RAM is the best bang for buck and does the i5 750, which is the only i5 out right now, have the ability to eventually run dual GTX 275s w/ out a bottleneck since my old system had one. Thanks again guys and i am an entry level overclocker so id like stable RAM. Heres my current specs if your interested:

MSI 750A K9N2 SLI Platinum Mobo
GTX 275 FTW
Ultra L3 750W PSU
4GB OCZ 800 mhz DDR2 Dual Channel
Ultra Case
Athlon X2 5400+ Black Edition at 3.0 Ghz

Note: My board was so unstable if i set my CPU to 3.1 it immediately crashes in any game.

^ Actually I wouldn't blame the AM2+ socket for your CPU problems...It is the Nvidia chipset on those boards which are flaky and they are the source of the PC's instability...If you would have any other chipsets, you could have gone with just a CPU upgrade as most of the current AMD CPUs are backwards compatible...

And as for the RAM suggestions for your new system, check these out - Though they dont have good timings, but for that price, they are very good...
OCZ 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227495

But if you want something better, then this -
GSkillz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276

BohleyK

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
P55 has the best CPU performance in any platform out there. You won't be getting any CPU bottlenecks. With your two GTX 275's you will lose like 4-10 FPS depending on what setting you are using.

Nothing huge but it makes a difference when your packing extreme settings and want smooth gameplay. I don't think you will notice anything if you play around 1080p, even on high settings.

SHIELDHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009

whats the difference in the two besides the frequencies they run at? im also looking at stable overclock-able RAM FYI.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

the gskill ram have lower latencies meaning it's better. the gskill ram is quite stable..

the ocz ram have higher latencies meaning it's worse than the gskill, but it's cheaper...it's quite cheap if you ask me 58.99 AFTER rebate for 4GB DDR3. that's like the cheapest you could get...really good deal.

@shieldhead here are few suggestions for the mobo and the graphics...
Check out this mobo...This one comes with USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s support...So when these become mainstream, you wouldnt have to change your h/w...
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128409

And as for the graphics card, rather than going for another 275, wait for the GT3xx series cards...If they offer better performance and value, then get them...

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

GT3XX will be expensive when it comes out...

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

Seeing how the cheapest gtx 295 is still $495..nvidia fails at price adjustments..

they are just using their "name" to lure people in buying them, because there are still so many fan boys.

unfortunately for nvidia, many fanboys have switched to the red side because of price : performance, and they cant take the nvidia pricing crap anymore

^ Very true...
But it will surely be nice to see how they price their GT3xx series now as they know how well the HD 5xxx series perform, their price/ performance value...If they screw up in this, then it would be very bad for their desktop graphics business...
Nvidia is currently focusing more on the Tegra platform as they have very less competition in that market...

SHIELDHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
thx for all the info guys! first i want to say that i dont plan on getting the gigabyte board since i LOVE evga for its BIOS and the customer support and warranties. second about the ram latency, can u explain that to me, is it the numbers on the ram that are like 7-7-7-25 or something like that. As for graphics, im not planning on getting a second video card, since i want to see where nvidia goes w/ the 300 series and such. im also not a huge fan of ATI mostly for their software and drivers. Ive had BAD experiences in the past. THX AGAIN GUYS!!!!

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
yes 7-7-7-25 are an example of latencies...the lower the latencies the better...

ati is really good right now..because like i said nvidia fails to price adjust accordingly..

the cheapest gtx 275 is $250..get a ati 4890 instead..cheaper and similar performance..

SHIELDHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009

can you explain what the latency reflects about the RAM itself, ive also been looking at some Corsair 1600mhz ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260

will this work to my potential of a small overclock and a 3.5ghz i5 750 cpu?

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
what do you mean the latencies reflects about the ram itself..

heres a wikipedia definition

sdram latency refers to the delays incurred when a computer tries to access data in SDRAM. SDRAM latency is often measured in memory bus clock cycles. Because a modern CPU is much faster than SDRAM, the CPU has to wait for a relatively long time for a memory access to complete before it can process the data. SDRAM latency contributes to total memory latency, which causes a significant bottleneck for system performance in modern computers.

that ram is not that good, like i said high latencies. it will work with your overclock, but it's not wise to waste money when you can get better performing ram

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
if ur going to OC to 3.5ghz, you may need ome kind of aftermarket cpu cooler...specially for 24/7 settings.

i suggest the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler, good price, and good temps. bout 3~6C off megahalem, and half the price (least in aus it is)

akash3656

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

^+1, a good cooler for the money the cooler master 212 plus.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=cooler%20master%20212

But currently out of stock. So, try to get from another place, local computer store or online.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
shows that in CPU biased games, the OC is necessary, and more important for your money than GPU power.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-overclock,2438-8.html

But this here
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446-16.html
shows no increase at all for the money spent (3fps when over 120 anyway)...depends what games you play, and how whether they need more GPU or CPU performance.

however, i believe the extra $35 isn't going to hurt, especially as it will well round off your rig (unless you only play GPU-dependent games, in which case spend more on the GPU)

MICK

BTW: if ur not just gaming, the extra clock-increase may help in older single-threaded applications, and older single threaded games