Help with motherboard for i7 975 plz

liljay904

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
hey i am having problems, i cant figure out what would be the best motherboard for a intel i7 975... can ne 1 tell me what are the top 2 or 3 mother boards for me??

im building this pc my self and im mainly gonna use it for hard gaming , audio ( making beats n music files ) and also be using it for wireless testing / program testing.

Solution
If the OP has the money for the 975, as i always say, go for it :)
-If the OP doesn't overclock the increased clockrate and faster QPI will give the 975 a big edge over the 920, if the OP does overclock i still suggest getting the 975 because since it's stock clock is already much higher, you can overclock it a lot more on air cooling and acheive higher and more stable clocks.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
There's only about 800,000 people running 920's over 4ghz.

3.3ghz is a joke.

So you = fail

Apparently you don't understand product binning.

http://levelx.me/2009/08/from-sand-to-silicon-how-a-intel-cpu-is-built/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_binning

or mulitpliers, being that the cpu multiplier is locked on the 920 and unlocked on the 975.

Granted the extra money might not be justifiable to you or me, but to inexperienced overclockers or someone who doesn't overclock it might be worth it.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Asus P6TD Deluxe for your motherboard, or the new P6X58D if you want SATA III and USB 3.0

Also, if you fancy a little overclocking you can save yourself a LOT of money by getting a 920 instead of the 975 and just overclocking the 920 to 3.3GHz to match the 975 - with the money you save you can get many nice toys, like a Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card or similar high-end audio kit.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
If the OP has the money for the 975, as i always say, go for it :)
-If the OP doesn't overclock the increased clockrate and faster QPI will give the 975 a big edge over the 920, if the OP does overclock i still suggest getting the 975 because since it's stock clock is already much higher, you can overclock it a lot more on air cooling and acheive higher and more stable clocks.

Solution

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

zippity doo dah doesnt understand that.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Yes I understand binning and no I'm not going to read your boring links. LOL

Any 920 will run 4ghz, let alone 3.3ghz, so you would pay another $721 for a higher binned processor that runs slower? FAIL

I said it wasnt something I would justify either. You reading and comprehension skills fail also.

Yes I understand binning and no I'm not going to read your boring links. LOL

Any 920 will run 4ghz, let alone 3.3ghz, so you would pay another $721 for a higher binned processor that runs slower? FAIL

Why are you asking this question? If you are a PC enthusiast you should know why people buy them. Think of it in these terms:

Why do people spend $5K+ on a Alienware PC that would cost them $1500-$2K to build? Because they are newbies and don't have the experience.

So for this guy, maybe he wants a CPU thats over 3GHz without having to OC in the Core i7 series of CPUs thus the Core i7 975 is the best for him.

For the OP and what mobo, anything Asus. Asus never fails to deliver.

liljay904

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
wow ty for all the posts even about the 920 n over clocking... and rly i dont know much about computer.s i just want 1 thats real good n i saw alienware is good but costs toooo much so im pretty much trying to make sumthing better my self with half the cost... so for the OCing im sure thats not rly to safe.. is it??

liljay904

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
looked in2 the 920 but disagree about OCing it to 4Gz lets say i get the 975 n OC that to like 4.7Gz would it give me better comp performance & wayyyy more stability then the 920 would??

like the others say u can get the same out of 920 as u can with a 975 you might be able to go a little higher but stability all lies in your hardware and settings you with the processor.

as for motherboard for the i7 i here ASUS is the best