Sign in with
Your question

Will a ATI HD4850 graphics card work on my pc?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 15, 2009 11:11:59 AM

My pc specs
PACKARD BELL BV IMEDIA MC 2470
intel pentium D processor 2.8ghz
1gb ddr2 memory
Packard Bell BV Cuba MS-7301 motherboard

And currently an nvidia 7300se graphics card

I want to upgrade my graphics card to an ATI HD 4850, (PCI express) (only £80 from maplin!) in order to run new games, (cod modern warfare 2) and because it has a hdmi connection.

Does anyone know if this graphics card will work in my pc? is it just a case of taking out my old card and replacing with this one? And if so will i be able to run cod 6 considering my cpu is only 2.8ghz?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Could I run both cards at the sasme time for dual monitor support?
November 15, 2009 4:19:15 PM

Yes your computer could run the ATI HD 4850,
But you will need to upgrade your power supply to a 500+ watt unit. (I dont know your computers PSU)

No you will not be able to run both cards at the same time.

Yes you will be able to play COD: MW2, but of course what resolution would you be playing at?
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2009 4:48:31 PM

You will to upgrade your cpu. Your current one would be a massive bottleneck. Not optional.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2009 4:58:19 PM

The most I'd recommend running under that configuration would be an HD 4670. Anything above that and your CPU will not be able to keep up with supplying it with information which will significantly degrade performance.

Is there a reason you need an HDMI cable? Are you running it on a TV or are you using a new monitor with that old system? :p 

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Graphics Performance Benchmarks: AA/AF Disabled

Quote:
Resolution: 1680x1050

HD4670 -- 56 FPS
HD4850 -- 81 FPS

Resolution: 1920x1080

HD4670 -- 49 FPS
HD4850 -- 74 FPS

Those are the frames per second with a Core i7 and much better components. Your CPU will limit either to about the same point, and your amount of memory will also cause a problem. I know you're thinking since it gets higher FPS than the HD 4670 it has to be better, but your setup will only allow for a certain amount of performance. Also, the HD 4850 will probably not be an option due to your presumably weak power supply which is a huge thing to take into consideration. Adding a GTX 295 or HD 5870 will also give about the same performance, it's just how it works. Spend less money and get the HD 4670 unless you plan on carrying the card over to a completely new configuration later. I might recommend spending the money you saved on another gigabyte of memory.

It will run COD6, albeit slowly unless you're running under 1680x1050.

SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Also, you can use both cards for multi-monitor support but they will not be able to be used in any type of CrossFire/SLi configuration. You will have to use the HD 4 series card for your primary tasks (gaming, main monitor, etc.) and the second GeForce card will have to be used just to render the second desktop.
November 17, 2009 3:17:36 PM

Thanks a lot for replying

I realise now that my cpu and motherboard are holding me back a lot.

Could i then buy a cheap power supply

http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-550w-gold-psu-1...

and buy the HD4850 and run it on my current pc until i save enough money for a whole new build?

(also the HD4850 has 2 dvi slots so could simply plug in 2 monitors)

And just to clear up, which card will run faster (4850 or 4670) on my pc at 1920 x 1080

thanks
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 4:08:44 PM

FinnJ said:

and buy the HD4850 and run it on my current pc until i save enough money for a whole new build?

And just to clear up, which card will run faster (4850 or 4670) on my pc at 1920 x 1080

thanks

I wouldn't buy a 4850 with the expectation of putting it in a future machine. It's overpowered for your current setup but it will be underpowered for a new gaming rig. They've already got several cards on the market that are better, and you'd probably want one that can support DirectX 11 so it doesn't go obsolete before the rest of your new system.

Honestly, as other people have said, you're not going to notice a hell of a lot of difference between the 4670 and the 4850 on your current machine, because the CPU and the RAM are the limiting factor.

I wouldn't buy that power supply, because it only has one 6-pin PCIe connection. If and when you build a new system, you'll want at least two. The really high-end video cards will often take two 6-pin connectors EACH. Sometimes an 8-pin connector. So there's really no point in buying that power supply, because you'll just end up buying another one later anyway.

a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 6:31:33 PM

FinnJ said:

thanks

The HD 4850 and 4670 will perform roughly the same on your setup because your CPU is not fast enough to feed information to better graphics cards, and your memory is insufficient. I'd just get the 4670, run at lower resolutions if you have to (I'm not sure why you would pair a 1080p monitor with such a low powered system, but okay :p ) and then when you save up for an entirely new system spring for another graphics card and sell the 4670 on eBay/Craigslist. I wouldn't use the HD 4850 in a new computer, it's still old. The 4670 I linked to will support multimonitor just fine, but why are you doing all this high-resolution multi-monitor stuff with such a sorry computer? Stop spending money on monitors and put it in the computer so you can use them!

Your options are limited and severely constrained by your CPU.
November 17, 2009 6:35:08 PM

ok. I've decided to simply not upgrade at all now, just going to wait till i've saved up enough then build a whole new pc. thanks for all your help anyway.
!