Sign in with
Your question

General overclocking practice

Last response: in Overclocking
March 23, 2012 10:25:58 AM

Hi all,

Sorry if my post is a little general, if more specifics are needed to help me answer my question here please just ask me. So to the point. I wish to try and find out why I am still getting what I feel is below par performance (at times) i.e - low fps in games, when from what I can see, nothing is reaching its maximum working load.

First my specs:

Intel i7 quadcore 3.1 OC @ 4.2ghz
Gigabyte GA X58 1366 USB3
6gb kingston RAM @ 1333
2x SLI GTX560 Ti OC 900mhz 1gb

So, some examples of my situation. When playing any of the games I have I'm always montoring the CPU load, GPU temps, GPU load and GPU VRAM usage. When playing games such as Splintercell conviction and Assassins creed revalations, even though the CPU and GPU load NEVER reaches maximum load (at most GPU will reach 55% and CPU around 50%) and the VRAM is under the 1gb limit, both these games are still getting low FPS hits at times, sometimes as low as 35 fps. its not often, but occasionally. Another game is Mirrors Edge which I'm getting the exact same behaviour. Another example is when I play Battlefield 3, and for the most part its really silky smooth. When I finally learned that keeping the VRAM under 1gb, it fixed my jerky mouse movement and the game is almost flawless. Campaign I can play now without a hitch. And for the most part, I can play online Very smoothly. But occasionally this game will aswell get a hit in fps EVEN THOUGH i'M KEEPING A CLOSE EYE on all the things I mentioned above (CPU load, GPU load, VRAM usage). None of them are reaching their maximum load or maximum usage yet im Still getting below par performance. So I guess my question from this is: Is there something else I'm not monitoring that could be causing a bottleneck in my system??

Concerning if a part of the issue is whether the games I mentioned have SLI profiles that are really optimised for the game, I feel battlefield 3 speaks for itself, And even if I turn SLi off and play Splinter cell or Assassins creed with just 1 card- the issue is still there.

This has puzzled me for some time and would love some feedback or advice on the matter.

Big cheers in advance.

a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2012 11:25:28 AM

what resolution are you gaming at?
i think your vram size might be the limiting factor. when sli'ing cards they share the shader cores but not video ram so you're effectively still using just 1gb of video ram. high resolutions eat up vram
m
l
March 23, 2012 11:59:08 AM

Quote:
when sli'ing cards they share the shader cores but not video ram
-I understand high resolutions chew up VRAM, but I don't think what your saying is right. VRAM IS shared when in SLI configuration. Having said that, I don't believe VRAM is the issue here, I always keep it under my cards limit, which is 1gb, and the issue still persists.
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2012 5:51:23 PM

XGLX said:
Quote:
-I understand high resolutions chew up VRAM, but I don't think what your saying is right. VRAM IS shared when in SLI configuration. Having said that, I don't believe VRAM is the issue here, I always keep it under my cards limit, which is 1gb, and the issue still persists.

May you need more velocity for file system on HDD? It is my problem sometimes with photo program with big files. Different games in different ways using the files on your hard drive - some are very often change the files from disk. I did not play nearly - but my son is seen.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 4, 2012 4:08:45 AM

Ignore post above, it is a spam bot.

update to the new drivers. It is a problem with Sli so just try the beta drivers.
m
l
April 4, 2012 4:13:43 AM

XGLX said:
Quote:

They share but that doesn't mean you have 2GB, more like still 1GB.

As for games, a HDD could cause it but only if its very slow. Even then, I haven't seen a HDD cause those issues.

It could be a bad GPU possibly or a bad/insufficient PSU causing the issue.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 4, 2012 5:51:38 AM

Learn to punctuate before spamming in future please...
Reported to mods so should be removed soon XG,
Moto
m
l
!