GA-890GPA-UD3H Rev 1 SATA3 port question

FUN_YUN

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I connected two samsung f3 spinpoint drives to the sata3_0 and sata3_1 ports of the 890GPA-UD3H board. Booted it up, two drives were not recognized. So thought the hard drives were dead. Anyway long story short, I found out the drives weren't dead. So I decided to connect the drives to GSATA2_6 and GSATA2_7 and now they're working.
Am I missing something here? shouldn't those drives work when connected to sata3 ports?

And also for some reason my AMD 1055T is not being recognized in Windows 7. Do I need to update the bios?

Oh and also, I couldn't get my sata dvd drive to work when installing Windows 7. So I had to pop out my old IDE DVD drive to install Windows 7. Sigh I feel like a noob.

Please help.
Thank you.

Edit
Bios

onchip sata controller enabled
onchip sata type raid
onchip sata port4/5 type as sata type
onchip sata raid5 support enabled
onchip sata3.0 support enabled
onboard gsata/ide ctrl enabled
onboard sata/ide ctrl mode raid/ide

FUN_YUN

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

update: I have attached another hard drive to one of the sata3 ports and it was recognized. Weird. So F3 drives don't get recognized when plugged into sata3 ports but does in sata2 port?

bilbat

Splendid
Kind of confused, could you give me a list of all your drives, purpose, size, where & why you want to plug them? Thus:

WD Vraptor150 systems&swaps RAID0 Southbridge port0
WD Vraptor150 systems&swaps RAID0 Southbridge port1 (paired with above...)
WS RE3 1TB Data RAID1 Southbridge port2
WS RE3 1TB Data RAID1 Southbridge port3 (paired with above...)
WD Vraptor150 systems&swaps RAID0 Southbridge port4
WD Vraptor150 systems&swaps RAID0 Southbridge port5 (paired with above...)
SG 1.5 Backups AHCI jMicron GSATA port0
eSATA front panel AHCI 9no drive) jMicron GSATA port1

Make it so much easier for me to sort out for you... [:bilbat:5]

FUN_YUN

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

Well basically, there are two scenarios.

F3 Spinpoint Port 0 (SATA3)
F3 Spinpoint Port 1 (SATA3)
This does not work.

F3s in port 7 & 8 which are SATA2 ports, they work.

Found out that I wasn't the only one with the same problem.
Link

I don't know what I should do. Should I get a different board or buy new hard drives? ah this sucks.

bilbat

Splendid
Oh - and you're likely wondering "Why do I care about the 850 - it's on the Marvell chip... AMDs are odd that way - there typically aren't hardware drivers for the stuff 'hung off' the chipsets, the chipset drivers themselves contain the 'attached hardware' drivers. The Marvell ports are processed by the 850 first, as they're dangling from the 850... Next place I'll look is for the status of current Marvell drivers, but they're pretty secretive - don't seem to document at all, or publish 'generic' drivers :fou:

bilbat

Splendid
This is kind of what I thought...

If you'll look here, at your driver page, there are no actual SATA drivers - just the <F6> 'pre-install' drivers (and, peculiarly, I don't see a set of those, either, for the Marvell)!

Now, for purposes of comparison, look at the driver page for an 1156 based SATA3 board; note the recently (4/29) updated Marvell drivers...

Might be a good question for GB tech, if the F3's firmware update gives 'no joy'?

FUN_YUN

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
1. Please unzip attached file to Bootable media (USB,CD, Floppy...etc).
2. Please connect Target HDD to Primary / Mast.
3. Booting the system to DOS mode by bootable media.(which with this F/W flash program).
4. Please run " Patch ".
5. When FW Flash successfully message display , please Power Off system, to make F/W flash complete.

I cant seem to get this to work. I have made a bootable usb drive and it boots up in dos just fine. But it's not detecting any hard drives or dvd drive for that matter. Any idea? :eek:

bilbat

Splendid
You may have already tried this, but I remember it being part of the 'fix' for the giant "Seagate Stutter" fiasco - disconnect all SATA devices except the one you intend to flash, and connect that to SATA2_0...

If we wind up finding out that Samsung have made a flashing program to 'fix' problems with AMD bridges, that can't find a drive connected to an AMD bridge, I think my head will burst!![:fixitbil:8]