$800 gaming rig, how does this look?

BohleyK

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

Monitor real estate is pretty important. I think he has a pretty decent Rig going for gaming purposes. A quad core is usually used for video/image editing apps which he may or may not need. Most games don't make use of 4 cores so he should be set and thats a really good mobo if hes not looking for Crossfire.

If he plans on doing everything possible with a PC then I agree with you 100%. Reduce monitor size and upgrade CPU and motherboard. [:bohleyk:1]

The size of the monitor isn't that important. The resolution is more important.

You're right. Not many games utilize quad cores yet. But they will soon. I didn't recommend the quad simply for the extra core. It's also got a faster bus and more memory. Look at the benchmarks, the 945 is a faster gaming CPU.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

You are incorrect, games don't require DX11, it's an option, you can choose DX9, DX10, or DX11 in the settings.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
To OP: the monitor you've picked is 2ms GTG response time, which is equivalent to around 10ms BTB (this is what most monitors are measured at)..so it's quite slow if you ask me. Find another monitor with at least 5ms BTB response time. I know this won't make a difference in the real world, but why not get faster at the same price/around the same price?

nep

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009

interesting. i was under the impression that if a game was designed in dx 11, you had to have a dx 11 compatible card. good to know. after doing some further review on that monitor it seems acceptable for gaming. about to purchase everything. thanks guys

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

yes that monitor is good. the GTG thing was just a heads up. no problem man. good luck on your build!

deadcell

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Real good setup. Wish the Phenom II X4 955 was in your budget, but the X3 is a great value chip. As for the GPU, excellent choice. XFX did a great job on that 4890. Fast and cheap. Overall, great budget build. Best of luck...