Hyper 212+ vs. Hyper EVO

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
i bought the 212+ because of ignorance over the evo really...can't give much more of an excuse than that. but i see the EVO is geared towards 2011 sockets. what does that mean? i just bought my mobo last week, which tells me 2012...but i think i'm missing something. 212+ should still work with the 2011 model too, right? the clamp was a PITA to tighten, but otherwise it cools my CPU. i just don't want it to be screwing anything up discreetly. thank you for curbing my ignorance. :)

btw, i5 2500k and gigabyte ud3h...

ram1009

Distinguished
I installed a 212 on a Phenom II and it is a chore but it cools well and that's the bottom line I believe. This appears to me to be just another product with the initials "EVO" added and nobody knows what it means. I've asked the question many times with no rational answers.

G

EVO has better fan and better contact system, but a lot of people say difference in performance is barely noticeable.

When I hear "EVO", first thing that comes to my mind is evolution. Not sure if that's it.

Anyway, I had some problems figuring out how to position the retention bracket in relation to the heatsink of my EVO, but once I figured it out, it was fairly easy to finish the mounting process.

I'm satisfied with its performance, I might add.

The only difference between the 212+ and Evo is the Evo is the new version of the 212+.
Exact same mounting hardware.
Evo has a new fan/different fin spacing/and better surface contact instead of the spacing used on the 212+.
If your 212+ or Evo shipped without 2011 hardware = it's free!
http://coolermaster-usa.com/landing/lga2011/
New replenishment stock will include 2011 hardware.
CM 212+/Evo are probably the easiest coolers to mount imo.

Stock intel heatsink mounting ftw!