Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sata III Laptop Hard Drives

Last response: in Storage
October 2, 2011 9:12:16 AM

Hi,
I have a Laptop thats supports sata 6gbs and want to get a HardDrive to replace the 5400rpm one it comes with. But I cant Find any that arnt SSD's. Does anyone know of any 6gbs Laptop Hard Drives that are out or coming out that arn't SSD's?
Thanks.
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
October 2, 2011 9:27:53 AM

No point looking specifically for a sata III mechanical HDD. Mechanical HDD cannot saturate even the 3Gb/s bandwidth of sata II.
m
l
October 2, 2011 9:56:05 AM

Pyree said:
No point looking specifically for a sata III mechanical HDD. Mechanical HDD cannot saturate even the 3Gb/s bandwidth of sata II.

It's not just the Connection. The connector is a sign that it is a recent drive that they put more tech into, E.G. 32mb cache instead of 16mg and other things along those lines.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
October 2, 2011 10:05:25 AM

LOL, looking at the connector and can tell how old the drive is?!

As far as I can see with my sata III mechanical HD, they are exactly the same on the connector and works and performs the same regardless whether they are on sata II or III.

There is no physical distinction between sata II and III physically.

As to the amount of cache, you can tell by only looking at the info sticker on the HDD. You cannot tell by looking at the connector.

Your shouldn't be looking for a sata III mechanical drive. You should be looking for a fast mechanical HDD regardless of sata II or III.

If you want good perofrmance on your laptop without using an ssd, there is the seagate momentus xt.
m
l
October 2, 2011 10:12:52 AM

Pyree said:
LOL, looking at the connector and can tell how old the drive is.

As far as I can see with my sata III mechanical HD, they are exactly the same on the connector and works and performs the same regardless whether they are on sata II or III.

There is no physical distinction between sata II and III physically.

As to the amount of cache, you can tell by olny looking at the info sticker on the HDD. You cannot tell by looking at the connector.

Your shouldn't be looking for a sata III mechanical drive.

What you are looking for if you want good perofrmance on your laptop without using an ssd is the seagate momentus xt.

I'm not saying that looking at the connector will show you anything just that when they put new drives they usally put in all the new tech even if it us useless for the drive like Sata III as you said.

As for the momentus XT is it realy very fast because i've seen extremely varying Review's from the Tech webistes. I was going to buy that untill I checked out reviews which seem inconsistent to me.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
October 2, 2011 10:21:33 AM

They had a problem with caching content and spin down to rely on the cache too aggressively. There is a firmware fix for that and probabaly new shipment comes with the new firmware so you don't have to change the firmware.

m
l
October 2, 2011 10:33:00 AM

Pyree said:
They had a problem with caching content and spin down to rely on the cache too aggressively. There is a firmware fix for that and probabaly new shipment comes with the new firmware so you don't have to change the firmware.

Ahh Thanks! I looked up the firmware change and found out they've had alot of firmware updates on the momentus XT, which does put me off some as I had a seagate Barracuda 7200.11 on my desktop that I had no end of trouble's with even with their firmware updates! It was so bad I took it out of my desktop and bought a WD Caviar Black to replace it. (the 7200.11 is currently sitting gathering dust in my closet because I could'nt deal with seagate :(  ) I'm weary of buying what might be just another hassle, Do you know if these have alot of problems (Hence all the firmware updates)?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
October 2, 2011 10:43:43 AM

They have frequent firmware upgrade, SD24 fixed the cache problem and now up to SD28. But some of the updates is there to fine tune the performance like the SD 28 gives better 4K performance.
m
l
October 2, 2011 10:47:20 AM

Pyree said:
They have frequent firmware upgrade, SD24 fixed the cache problem and now up to SD28. But some of the updates is there to fine tune the performance like the SD 28 gives better 4K performance.

What about the Scorpio Black 750GB? If you look at the overall performance Here:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/20255/10

It seems like the performance overall is very close if not about the same as the momentus XT? and you get 250gb more seems like that would be a better deal?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
October 2, 2011 11:05:42 AM

The Scorpio Black is also a good drive. But the random access time of the momentus xt totally kills the Scorpio black. If you use your momentus with habitual pattern to allow the caching of the right content, it will load your window and program faster.
m
l
October 2, 2011 11:31:48 AM

Pyree said:
The Scorpio Black is also a good drive. But the random access time of the momentus xt totally kills the Scorpio black. If you use your momentus with habitual pattern to allow the caching of the right content, it will load your window and program faster.

It looks like the random access times are only that good on files below 1mb. It seems like both drives are very close in most tests, but the Momentus XT in the review dosn't say that it has the updated firmware so maybe the Review is not quite fare? if you had to guess what % better would the XT have tested at if it had the update firmware?

The thing is I would buy a SSD but at about $200 for $128GB (Crucial M4) it is a bit steep for a mere 128GB. I probaby realy need more than that atleast 200gb but it's usualy better to have some extra space so i'd have to buy a 250gb which run about $400 :o  ! It's not realy worth buying at that price.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
October 2, 2011 11:34:57 AM

If you are about to get an ssd, then there is no point in getting the momentus xt. I thought you are not going to get an ssd ever. Another way around it is to see if you can put another drive on your laptop so you can get small ssd for OS, most used program and HDD for files. What is the model of your laptop?
m
l
October 2, 2011 11:40:36 AM

Pyree said:
If you are about to get an ssd, then there is no point in getting the momentus xt. I thought you are not going to get an ssd ever. Another way around it is to see if you can put another HDD on your laptop. What is the model?

my laptop:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+Laptop+/+AMD+A-Serie...

it only has space for 1 HD. And im not getting a SSD I was just saying that I had thought about getting one but found that I would need to spend $400 to get an SSD that was over 200gb. I checked out may laptop and found out that I couldnt put in 2 HD's :(  . So I decided that I was better off getting A 7200RPM HD instead of trying to shove my data onto a 128gb SSD (they currently have best price point).

P.S The Laptop is Overclocked to 2.5 GHZ and now has 8gb Memory.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
October 2, 2011 11:46:39 AM

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/601808-k53ta-best-...

Ask the people there to make sure the caddy will fit your laptop

Buy 128GB ssd for OS and program and have the HDD for files.

Enjoy ssd performance simple as that.

But of course, if you use the 2nd HDD caddy, you lose the optical drive and it will not look original (you will lose the front panel of the optical drive that blend to the curve of the laptop and instead, you get a shright line).
m
l
October 2, 2011 11:53:08 AM

Pyree said:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/601808-k53ta-best-...

Buy 128GB ssd for OS and program and have the HDD for files. But of course, if you use the 2nd HDD caddy, you lose the optical drive and it will not look original (you will lose the front panel of the optical drive that blend to the curve of the laptop and instead, you get a shright line).

Yea I saw that but than i'd have to carry around an external DVD-player. My only complaint about my Laptop is that it does not have a second HDD Bay :(  ! But The rest of it was a steal(Crossfire, Quadcore, and pretty good battery life, good build quality, numpad, only $450 :D  )! GO ASUS!! :bounce: 
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
October 2, 2011 11:57:35 AM

Oh, ok. I hardly ever use my DVD drive, so.

Then you better get the scorpio black, or not get anything at all and save up for a large ssd.
October 2, 2011 12:03:51 PM

Pyree said:
Oh, ok. I hardly ever use my DVD drive, so.

Then you better get the scorpio black, or not get anything at all and save up for a large ssd.

Yea that's probably the best idea. When it realy comes down to it their isn't alot of differences in the 7200RPM Laptop drives, only between the SSD's and the mechanical Drives (Unless someone comes out with a hybrid drive with 8gb-16gb SSD Cache instead of 4gb)!

another review that their isn't a huge difference between the 750gb Scorpio Black and the Momentus XT:
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/4/5/top-noteb...

Thank you for all your help! :D 
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
October 2, 2011 12:04:33 PM

No problem.
m
l
October 2, 2011 12:40:25 PM

I have a Scorpio Black in one of my laptops and a Momentus XT in the other. I'm really surprised at how fast the Momentus XT is. The experience is comparable to my Vertex 3, which is very very fast.

The Momentus XT is a great drive, in my experience, highly recommended. The Scorpio Black is just another 7200 RPM notebook drive. Its relatively fast, but the Momentus XT feels much quicker.

...for what its worth.
m
l
October 2, 2011 9:44:42 PM

Best answer selected by OiLibre.
m
l
!