Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WaterCool i5 2500k and 2x GTX570?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
March 23, 2012 4:47:49 PM

Hello guys,

I have no experience with WC. Is it possible to Watercool my 2500k and 2x GTX570 in SLI with factory made coolers, meaning, is there a "easy way" to do it?
Cheers,

More about : watercool 2500k gtx570

March 23, 2012 5:36:31 PM

Water cooling a CPU is easy: Antec and Corsair make self enclosed water cooling systems with a CPU block, radiator, and fan(s). The radiator mounts to the fan, which mounts to the hole in your case. Sizes of radiators vary, as well as number of fans.

I put a link here: Microcenter.com Water Cooling Kits.

Not so much for video cards, less when you are model specific.
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 23, 2012 5:52:50 PM

not so fast there - if that were how things really went, then all the watercooling manufacturers like swiftech, xspc, ek, watercool and etc etc would've setup shop on the streets by now with the stuff thas coming out from Antec, corsair, Asetek and coolit(although they have merged with corsair)

please read the sticky in my sig, take some time to crunch some numbers and get a feel for your watercooling endeavour i.e: budget.

when you go for antec/corsair on that proc you'll have a facepalm moment when you see how well results are in "real" watercooling solutions/loops with gpu's ion the mix. Netting a LCS for 2 gpus and a proc doesn't look good tdp wise nor pocket wise.

hope this helps! :) 

* thermalpoop make the worst watercooling kits as they have bad construction and they have an aluminum construct. if you're curious - do a google search on galvanic corrosion or read the sticky.
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 23, 2012 5:57:51 PM

Full watercooling build on i7 2600 and SLI GTX 260. Is it easy? That's a relative term- for me, yes. For someone who never has done it? Not at first, but you can pick up a lot of info...have you read through the WC sticky? It's linked in my signature below.
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 23, 2012 6:00:23 PM

^ you nailed those questions mate!
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 23, 2012 6:24:43 PM

I just want to mention it's not a simple, plug-in solution. While it isn't rocket surgery, it does take some understanding to grasp the concepts to know what you will or won't need.
March 24, 2012 1:23:03 AM

1969551,4,128669 said:
Full watercooling build on i7 2600 and SLI GTX 260. Is it easy? That's a relative term- for me, yes. For someone who never has done it? Not at first, but you can pick up a lot of info...have you read through the WC sticky? It's linked in my signature below.[/quotemsg
But is it much better in terms of noise, OC and do you recommend it? How much do you guys think i would have to spend?
a c 224 K Overclocking
March 24, 2012 11:18:06 AM

Badelhas said:
Hello guys,

I have no experience with WC. Is it possible to Watercool my 2500k and 2x GTX570 in SLI with factory made coolers, meaning, is there a "easy way" to do it?
Cheers,


Quote:
I have no experience with WC.


Then you need to thoroughly educate yourself first, you are in the overclocking section so are your goals going to involve overclocking. Overclocking the 2500K and adding cooling the 570GTXs to the mix changes the recommendations significantly.

Quote:
Is it possible to Watercool my 2500k and 2x GTX570 in SLI with factory made coolers


Yes

Quote:
meaning, is there a "easy way" to do it?


No it's not easy, but you can do it!

There's a good deal of work involved even if you know what you are doing, water cooling a CPU and 2 GPUs is going to be a major accomplishment on your part for a first timer, from start to finish you're looking at an entire days worth of work, at least 12hrs to 14hrs with leak testing involved, for a newbie maybe longer.

It would probably be best to plan it as a 2 day project so you don't stress yourself out over it and rush the end results, you leak test thoroughly without the machine powered.

You have to be extremely careful mounting the water blocks to the 570GTXs, careful removing the stock air cooling, careful fitting the new water block, careful installing in the computer making sure the card is not tweaked or the SLI bridge is stressed, (More critical if you have a hard SLI bridge).

I totally recommend full coverage 570GTX water blocks, the cooling performance difference even stock not overclocked load temperature is around a 40c drop.

I see in your sig you've already OCd your 2500K to 4.4, are you satisfied there are intending to go further?

Do you intend OCing the 570GTXs? (If you spring for full coverage water blocks, it's almost a shame not to overclock the 570s, you will have GPU overclocking headroom, but how much that headroom is, depends on the rest of the cooling system.)

So if you're not scared off?, do you know why you're considering water cooling, what and how far would you be taking your overclocking, and do you even have a clue as to what you intend to spend on it?

Oh I almost forgot, I'm presently water cooling my 2500K and 2 580GTX.
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 24, 2012 3:52:54 PM

Watercooling isn't scary...just takes some time to sort out what you need in terms of hardware and understanding some basics. It's a very rewarding cooling solution and hobby if you have the time and cash to invest.
March 24, 2012 4:45:11 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Quote:
I have no experience with WC.


Then you need to thoroughly educate yourself first, you are in the overclocking section so are your goals going to involve overclocking. Overclocking the 2500K and adding cooling the 570GTXs to the mix changes the recommendations significantly.

Quote:
Is it possible to Watercool my 2500k and 2x GTX570 in SLI with factory made coolers


Yes

Quote:
meaning, is there a "easy way" to do it?


No it's not easy, but you can do it!

There's a good deal of work involved even if you know what you are doing, water cooling a CPU and 2 GPUs is going to be a major accomplishment on your part for a first timer, from start to finish you're looking at an entire days worth of work, at least 12hrs to 14hrs with leak testing involved, for a newbie maybe longer.

It would probably be best to plan it as a 2 day project so you don't stress yourself out over it and rush the end results, you leak test thoroughly without the machine powered.

You have to be extremely careful mounting the water blocks to the 570GTXs, careful removing the stock air cooling, careful fitting the new water block, careful installing in the computer making sure the card is not tweaked or the SLI bridge is stressed, (More critical if you have a hard SLI bridge).

I totally recommend full coverage 570GTX water blocks, the cooling performance difference even stock not overclocked load temperature is around a 40c drop.

I see in your sig you've already OCd your 2500K to 4.4, are you satisfied there are intending to go further?

Do you intend OCing the 570GTXs? (If you spring for full coverage water blocks, it's almost a shame not to overclock the 570s, you will have GPU overclocking headroom, but how much that headroom is, depends on the rest of the cooling system.)

So if you're not scared off?, do you know why you're considering water cooling, what and how far would you be taking your overclocking, and do you even have a clue as to what you intend to spend on it?

Oh I almost forgot, I'm presently water cooling my 2500K and 2 580GTX.


Thanks for the time spent answering my questions. I am happy with my current overclock, I have the CPU at 4.4Ghz and the GPU cards at 850+2050 with stock voltage. The objective with WC would be to reduce the noise of the fans since when stress they can do some noise. I have a good case with 12mm fan on top and 12mm fan on the side, but those are farly quiet. I believe than I wouldnt even need to overclock my setup because I play my games (BF3, Skyrim, Batman Arkham City, Metro 2033, etc) in 3D Vision but in a 90´´ Projection Screen at a 720p resolution so even BF3 is at a steady 60fps with everything maxed out with the CPU and GPUs at stock speed, but because I am a harware geek I like to squeeze the last drop of performance out of my system ;) 
I am not scared off but the one thing I did not understand is that you sad it is possible to WC my GPU´s with factory made watercoolers but then you talked about full water blocks....which factory made WC kits can I use (like the H100 for the CPU), if there are any? This way I wouldnt have to worry about leak test, etc, right? How much do you believe I have to spend, minimum, I WC my setup? Did you really noticed a reduction in noise when you WCed your won rig? Do you totally recommend it?

Cheers,
Andre
March 25, 2012 5:06:50 AM

Badelhas said:
Thanks for the time spent answering my questions. I am happy with my current overclock, I have the CPU at 4.4Ghz and the GPU cards at 850+2050 with stock voltage. The objective with WC would be to reduce the noise of the fans since when stress they can do some noise. I have a good case with 12mm fan on top and 12mm fan on the side, but those are farly quiet. I believe than I wouldnt even need to overclock my setup because I play my games (BF3, Skyrim, Batman Arkham City, Metro 2033, etc) in 3D Vision but in a 90´´ Projection Screen at a 720p resolution so even BF3 is at a steady 60fps with everything maxed out with the CPU and GPUs at stock speed, but because I am a harware geek I like to squeeze the last drop of performance out of my system ;) 
I am not scared off but the one thing I did not understand is that you sad it is possible to WC my GPU´s with factory made watercoolers but then you talked about full water blocks....which factory made WC kits can I use (like the H100 for the CPU), if there are any? This way I wouldnt have to worry about leak test, etc, right? How much do you believe I have to spend, minimum, I WC my setup? Did you really noticed a reduction in noise when you WCed your won rig? Do you totally recommend it?

Cheers,
Andre


If your main objective is to lower overall system decibels, from what I have understood, you will need a radiator with a low FPI. Low fins per inch rads allow fans to run at lower RPMs while still effectively cooling the water inside, the draw back (if considered one) is you will need more surface area as compared to a high FPI rad with high RPM fans. Check out the WC sticky it will elaborate more one FPI.

As for a enclosed GPU water cooler I am pretty sure they do not make them, although I did run across this thread over at OCN http://www.overclock.net/t/1203636/amd-ati-gpu-mod-club.... People have been taking closed loop CPU coolers and modding their GPU's to accept them, to me it looks a wee bit dangerous but just an idea if your set on not having to setup your own custom system.
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 25, 2012 5:23:34 AM

recommending something like that with the obvious give away of the OP's TDP... :pfff: 
a c 145 K Overclocking
March 25, 2012 5:36:30 AM

It's possible....the real question however is will you benefit ?

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Quote:
It's almost ironic that [air] coolers like this are becoming available just as processors transition to designs that may ultimately render them unnecessary; even overclocked to 5GHz, an Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K doesn't need anywhere near this level of cooling.


You have a 2500k which runs about 7C cooler at 4.7 Ghz

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

As for the 570's, BIG question ... which 570's ? If they are reference cards, the thermals won't much matter if the VRM on the PCB can't handle the voltage. If they have a 6 phase VRM as on the reference designs, I wouldn't bother w/ water cooling them as the VRM's will likely be what limit's the OC. Asus and Gigabyte for example have more robust 8 phase designs and some designs even have 10 (MSI Hawk / Lightning). If ya have 8 or more phases on the VRM, WC might be worth your time and effort.

March 25, 2012 9:19:48 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
It's possible....the real question however is will you benefit ?

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Quote:
It's almost ironic that [air] coolers like this are becoming available just as processors transition to designs that may ultimately render them unnecessary; even overclocked to 5GHz, an Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K doesn't need anywhere near this level of cooling.


You have a 2500k which runs about 7C cooler at 4.7 Ghz

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

As for the 570's, BIG question ... which 570's ? If they are reference cards, the thermals won't much matter if the VRM on the PCB can't handle the voltage. If they have a 6 phase VRM as on the reference designs, I wouldn't bother w/ water cooling them as the VRM's will likely be what limit's the OC. Asus and Gigabyte for example have more robust 8 phase designs and some designs even have 10 (MSI Hawk / Lightning). If ya have 8 or more phases on the VRM, WC might be worth your time and effort.


I´m sorry but I didnt understand the links you posted. Can you please be a bit more specific?
My Inno3D 570 Hawk, with a different cooler but with stock voltage: http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf500/gtx_5...

Cheers,
Andre
!