Sign in with
Your question

5770 a waste! need a new card!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 15, 2009 3:30:34 PM

Ok so i bought an ATI HD 5770 card to replace my GeForece 8800 GTS. The 8800 still works for my basic needs but it doesn't get along with full screen applications while running Windows 7 (it was a dxgmms1.sys error where the card was trying to access video memory that didn't exist). Right not the only game i really play on the PC is WOW, so it's not too demanding. When i upgraded i ran the windows test to see what it did to my scores there and i went from a 6.8 with the 8800 to a 6.0 with the 5770. Ok so i lost a few points there, nothing to worry about, with the drivers still maturing i'm sure that that will come up a bit later.

Now on to the real troubles, i log into world of warcraft and check out the frame rate, and wow, they have dropped from an average of 80 FPS to 60 FPS. Well this isn't really noticeable to the naked eye so again i am not too worried. Now after being logged in for about 2 minutes, boom display goes crazy and my computer reboots. Ok, that was odd no blue screen or anything for me to get some reasoning from, so i decide to watch a movie on my PC. I switch it up to full screen as i don't want to watch a movie in a little box, i get a few seconds into the movie and boom screen goes crazy and computer restarts again. So then i turn my computer off for the rest of the day and come back to it the next day, sure enough i get the same things again and again.

I am sending this back for a refund now and have about a $350 budget to try and find a replacement (350 because i was originally planning on doing crossfire with these cards). This result is making me wonder should i invest in a 5850 or 5870? or should i go back to an nvidia card like the 285? I want a card that is going to be able to last me a few years like the 8800 did. But i need to make sure that it is going to work properly with windows 7 and full screen applications.

System specs:
Core i7 920 @2.78 Ghz
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
6Gb DDR3 Tri channel
2 WD 500Gb HDD
1 Segate 500Gb HDD
1 LG BR-R HD-DVD-R DVD-RW combo drive
1 Samsung DVD-RW
550 Watt PS

Any suggestions and opinions are appreciated.

More about : 5770 waste card

November 15, 2009 3:43:41 PM

Did you uninstall the nvidia drivers and install the ATI ones? Have you tried any different ATI drivers - I don't have Windows 7, so I don't know the state of those drivers.
If your 8800 had a problem with full screen apps also then perhaps it is your windows install that is messed up.
m
l
November 15, 2009 3:58:02 PM

I have tried the driver that came with the card and the latest ones that ATI has avaliable. no luck with either. Before i went out and go this card i had tried the 8800 on the release client with the same issue and then i have reinstalled Windows 7 Pro twice already to see if there was something wrong there. That still did not fix the issue.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2009 4:03:57 PM

Did you completely erase all the NVidia drivers present on your system? Changing GPU brand and then just installing new drivers would definitely cause a problem. Also, with your 8800GTS that shouldn't have been happening in the first place, you may want to check your OS install and motherboard for loose or unstable connections.

If you're going to buy a new card there's no reason to go with NVidia unless it's a GTX 260 really. Everything else has a better ATi equivalent that is probably cheaper. I'd recommend an HD 4890, HD 5850, and HD 5870. On the other hand you could CrossFire 4870s for cheap which will provide about 5870 or higher performance.

Rest assured, the 5770 is enough card to handle World of Warcraft I can assure you, and chances are there's something wrong with your system that doesn't involve the GPU hardware, unfortunately, as it may hard to figure out.

Also, since no one has asked: When did the problems with your old card start happening? What is the exact model of your PSU?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2009 4:14:26 PM

probably a bad card. have it replaced first with another 5770.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2009 5:46:20 PM

Nah, probably didn't bother to erase the drivers, asked a direct question and only thought we were asking if he added the new drivers.

He needs to run a driver cleaner program, especially since he was having compatibility issues prior to adding the new card, which was the reason for the new card.

It's just worth a fresh clean re-install, even adding another nVidia card is unlikely to solve anything if his issue was with a perfectly good GF8800.
m
l
November 15, 2009 7:18:35 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Nah, probably didn't bother to erase the drivers, asked a direct question and only thought we were asking if he added the new drivers.

He needs to run a driver cleaner program, especially since he was having compatibility issues prior to adding the new card, which was the reason for the new card.

It's just worth a fresh clean re-install, even adding another nVidia card is unlikely to solve anything if his issue was with a perfectly good GF8800.

I installed the 5770 on a fresh install of Windows 7 so there weree no nvidia drivers to worry about.
m
l
November 16, 2009 3:10:44 AM

brockh said:
Did you completely erase all the NVidia drivers present on your system? Changing GPU brand and then just installing new drivers would definitely cause a problem. Also, with your 8800GTS that shouldn't have been happening in the first place, you may want to check your OS install and motherboard for loose or unstable connections.

If you're going to buy a new card there's no reason to go with NVidia unless it's a GTX 260 really. Everything else has a better ATi equivalent that is probably cheaper. I'd recommend an HD 4890, HD 5850, and HD 5870. On the other hand you could CrossFire 4870s for cheap which will provide about 5870 or higher performance.

Rest assured, the 5770 is enough card to handle World of Warcraft I can assure you, and chances are there's something wrong with your system that doesn't involve the GPU hardware, unfortunately, as it may hard to figure out.

Also, since no one has asked: When did the problems with your old card start happening? What is the exact model of your PSU?

Thanks for the suggestions on the cards. The problem started when i first started testing out the Windows 7 RC. I figured that it was because it was the RC and still pretty much test software that was the reasoning behind the issue. I had chosen to run this as i had an enterprise copy of windows xp that a friend had given me that i am sure was not legit for me to have been using. Then once windows 7 was actually released i went out and bought it but kept getting the same problem. Windows is aware of teh bug and released a patch for it that was to "help make the system more stable". Unfortunately it did not help out my system.

The PSU is an Allied AL-D500EXP, i appologize that in my first post i said it was a 550, but it is just a 500 Watt. It has 18Amps on the 12V rails, 24Amps on the 5V rails, and 24Amps on the 3.3V rail.
m
l
November 16, 2009 3:20:40 AM

Awfully woeful PSU for a Core i7 and a decent video card.
m
l
November 16, 2009 3:54:27 AM

I would upgrade your psu to a quality brand such as Corsair.
With all those hard drives, graphics card, and overclocking the processor your probably on the limit of the psu. You will regret it if your psu dies and takes the rest of the system with it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 5:27:42 AM

Yeah, sounds like the PSU can't give your card what it needs.
m
l
November 16, 2009 5:46:06 AM

2020223,1,506965]Ok so i bought an ATI HD 5770 card to replace my GeForece 8800 GTS. The 8800 still works for my basic needs but it doesn't get along with full screen applications while running Windows 7 (it was a dxgmms1.sys error where the card was trying to access video memory that didn't exist). Right not the only game i really play on the PC is WOW, so it's not too demanding. When i upgraded i ran the windows test to see what it did to my scores there and i went from a 6.8 with the 8800 to a 6.0 with the 5770. Ok so i lost a few points there, nothing to worry about, with the drivers still maturing i'm sure that that will come up a bit later.

Now on to the real troubles, i log into world of warcraft and check out the frame rate, and wow, they have dropped from an average of 80 FPS to 60 FPS. Well this isn't really noticeable to the naked eye so again i am not too worried. Now after being logged in for about 2 minutes, boom display goes crazy and my computer reboots. Ok, that was odd no blue screen or anything for me to get some reasoning from, so i decide to watch a movie on my PC. I switch it up to full screen as i don't want to watch a movie in a little box, i get a few seconds into the movie and boom screen goes crazy and computer restarts again. So then i turn my computer off for the rest of the day and come back to it the next day, sure enough i get the same things again and again.

I am sending this back for a refund now and have about a $350 budget to try and find a replacement (350 because i was originally planning on doing crossfire with these cards). This result is making me wonder should i invest in a 5850 or 5870? or should i go back to an nvidia card like the 285? I want a card that is going to be able to last me a few years like the 8800 did. But i need to make sure that it is going to work properly with windows 7 and full screen applications.

System specs:
Core i7 920 @2.78 Ghz
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
6Gb DDR3 Tri channel
2 WD 500Gb HDD
1 Segate 500Gb HDD
1 LG BR-R HD-DVD-R DVD-RW combo drive
1 Samsung DVD-RW
550 Watt PS

Any suggestions and opinions are appreciated.[/quotemsg]

Sounds like a driver or conflicting software program... perhaps with Win 7 or your 8800gts Nvidia driver? Did you get rid of your Nvidia driver before installing the Ati Catalyst?

I would personally get the GTX285 because i like Nvidia and I have their drivers already installed.... my last 3 cards were all Nvidia cards and in my opinion my next one will be as well..... However the GTX285 is still expencive and will cost more than your $350 budget however amd it is already a year old(GTX280 version). But so far it is still one of the best single card options.... if your budget doesnt allow you can definitly get a 5850 with $350...
m
l
November 16, 2009 5:53:41 AM

hum...
What's your power supply?
I bet everything on the powersupply.
m
l
November 16, 2009 7:46:27 AM

There's no good reason to buy a GTX285 right now. The HD 5850 outperforms it across the board, uses less power, is cheaper, and is DX11 capable.
m
l
November 16, 2009 12:30:44 PM

I installed windows 7 on a new build that had a 1 GB 4870. The video looked really bad in 1920x1200. Every other res looked great. My monitor is 1920x1200. I had to go into, I think it was catalyst control center but it may have been a windows thing and manually switch the colors to true color. For some reason, when running 1920x1200 it defaulted to 32 colors. I'm not sure if this is related to your problem or not. Just throwing it out there.

If you're getting 18 amps at 12 volts, that's like 200 watts. I don't know exactly how much a 5770 needs, but I think it's way less than 200 watts. I think it's less than 100 watts. I understand that PSUs sometimes exaggerate, but it doesn't seem like a PSU issue.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, a particular video card doesn't work well on a particular system. It's happened to me before. You can beat your head trying to get it working properly or you can just return it. I think it would make more sense to return for another model. If the new card doesn't work, it will at least tell you that the problem is likely outside the video card.
m
l
November 16, 2009 3:13:21 PM

Quote:
18a on the 12v rail. LOL

I think we found the problem folks, user error. Not to mention I think your lying about the drivers. You did a fresh windows install just to install your new graphics card?....yeah right.

Dont make a post saying the 5770 is a waste when the only waste is your brain.

You're right when i first installed the new card i did not have a fresh install of Windows, but when it wasn't working i did go in and reinstall windows to try and eliminate any software problems that could be causing the issue. And if you would like a picture of my Power supply where is shows the numbers listed i would be more than happy to send it to you.

I will look into upgrading my PSU, although the 8800 had worked great with windows XP and had no issues. I appreciate the suggestions on cards and the powersupply.
m
l
November 16, 2009 11:43:04 PM

so many people having trouble with these cards... so many replies from people who do not have this card.. i have a 700 watt PSU (upgraded from POS dell xps410)and i am having all the same issues. un-installed every ati driver and bit of sofware (had a radeon 1950 before) even used CCleaner and reinstalled the latest as of oct 13th CCC 9.10) better than the supplied cd driver but not great still. and the 8800 uses more power than the 5770 does
m
l
!