Intel 2500k + AsRock Extreme3Gen3 - How to Overlock?

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I am new to overclocking. I just built my PC, and i have the 2500k with the Hyper 212+ installed on it.
My Asrock Tuner Utility says my 2500k at stock speeds is idling at 35C right now. Is that good? (i used the thermal paste that the Hyper212+ came with, and i think i mightve put too much on, will it hurt anything?)

But anyways.. i want to know step by step and with all details needed on how to overlock my 2500k. I want it to stay safe, stable, and not get too hot. Im looking for a nice OC to 4.0-4.5 and it be very stable.

Thanks for the help.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Easiest way to do it is go into BIOS or use the Asrock Xtreme tuner utility and set the CPU clock to the multiplier you want. I stopped at 4.2 GHz on mine without fooling with the voltage. Even then it will throttle down and idle at 35C.

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Do i need to mess with anything if i turn up the multiplier? Like voltage or anything else?

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
For any newbie to OC'ing, the better choice is to stick with the step OC'ing in the BIOS or UEFI. If you start fooling around with voltages you run risks with which you are not prepared to deal. The BIOS/UEFI stepping is a proven solution by the techies at ASRock.

BTW, the settings in the ASRock UEFI start OC'ing at 4.0 and go to 4.8 GHz on their P67 Extreme6, and I expect on your mobo as well.