Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why did TIVO tell me to rerun setup?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 1:00:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

When the last phone call occurred for my SA TIVO series 2, it told me
I needed to rerun the guided setup portion relevant to my signal
source. I get most of my channels from DISH. It said DISH had made a
change, so it followed that TIVO needed to have part of the setup
rerun.

What gives? Why did that happen?

More about : tivo rerun setup

September 22, 2005 8:08:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

George Max <lazarus@removethiswi.rr.com> wrote in
news:f4e5j15nd46hph83a3inmf07mnhk46cjet@4ax.com:

> When the last phone call occurred for my SA TIVO series 2, it told me
> I needed to rerun the guided setup portion relevant to my signal
> source. I get most of my channels from DISH. It said DISH had made a
> change, so it followed that TIVO needed to have part of the setup
> rerun.
>
> What gives? Why did that happen?

Going out on a limb here, I am going to guess that DISH made a change which
required you to go through guided setup again. Purely a guess, you
understand.

--
Minister of All Things Digital & Electronic, and Holder of Past Knowledge
stile99@email.com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
I speak for no one but myself, and |Caffeine will be assimilated.
no one else speaks for me. O- | Decaf is futile.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 8:08:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 22 Sep 2005 16:08:52 GMT, Howard <stile99@email.com> wrote:

>George Max <lazarus@removethiswi.rr.com> wrote in
>news:f4e5j15nd46hph83a3inmf07mnhk46cjet@4ax.com:
>
>> When the last phone call occurred for my SA TIVO series 2, it told me
>> I needed to rerun the guided setup portion relevant to my signal
>> source. I get most of my channels from DISH. It said DISH had made a
>> change, so it followed that TIVO needed to have part of the setup
>> rerun.
>>
>> What gives? Why did that happen?
>
>Going out on a limb here, I am going to guess that DISH made a change which
>required you to go through guided setup again. Purely a guess, you
>understand.


C'mon - all the same channels all the time. Nothings different. This
just seems bizarre and useless.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 10:31:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

lazarus@removethiswi.rr.com shaped the electrons to say:
>C'mon - all the same channels all the time. Nothings different. This
>just seems bizarre and useless.

And it may be - wouldn't be the first time a CSR gave out bogus
instructions. Like PC support - when in doubt reboot. If that
doesn't work - reinstall.

What problem, if any, caused you to call support?

-MZ
--
<URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 12:37:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:31:10 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
(MegaZone) wrote:

> lazarus@removethiswi.rr.com shaped the electrons to say:
> >C'mon - all the same channels all the time. Nothings different. This
> >just seems bizarre and useless.
>
> And it may be - wouldn't be the first time a CSR gave out bogus
> instructions. Like PC support - when in doubt reboot. If that
> doesn't work - reinstall.
>
> What problem, if any, caused you to call support?

If this is the same as happened to me (and sounds like), it wasn't support,
it was a message that showed up on TiVo itself (a PTCM). Same channels
here as well, so I suspect it was something to do with them having to
reorganize their lineups at the TiVo's end in some behind-the-scenes way. A
mild annoyance, but since I'm a network admin (amongst other things) I know
how sometimes you have to do things like that and it's hard to explain why
to the end user, so I just shrugged and got on with it.
--
"It is more uplifting to find the beauty, wonder, spirituality, and
reverence in what we can see, than to imagine they only exist in what we
can't see." - hawthorn@sover.net http://www.sover.net/~hawthorn/
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 12:37:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:37:29 -0400, Frank J. Perricone
<hawthorn@sover.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:31:10 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
>(MegaZone) wrote:
>
>> lazarus@removethiswi.rr.com shaped the electrons to say:
>> >C'mon - all the same channels all the time. Nothings different. This
>> >just seems bizarre and useless.
>>
>> And it may be - wouldn't be the first time a CSR gave out bogus
>> instructions. Like PC support - when in doubt reboot. If that
>> doesn't work - reinstall.
>>
>> What problem, if any, caused you to call support?
>
>If this is the same as happened to me (and sounds like), it wasn't support,
>it was a message that showed up on TiVo itself (a PTCM). Same channels
>here as well, so I suspect it was something to do with them having to
>reorganize their lineups at the TiVo's end in some behind-the-scenes way. A
>mild annoyance, but since I'm a network admin (amongst other things) I know
>how sometimes you have to do things like that and it's hard to explain why
>to the end user, so I just shrugged and got on with it.


This exactly what my situation was. I did most of this in the AM, but
didn't complete answering the questions on screen until I returned
home. TIVO just sat there "patiently waiting" on it's questioning
screen 'till I got home. No, the TV was not on the whole time. I
answered the last question(s) and got back to watching something
already recorded.

Right now, it's all good with no discernable (by me) differences.

What's mildly curious is that if Dishnet had done something to their
lineup, I'd have expected there to be more people experiencing this
and questioning it in places like this.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 1:40:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> This exactly what my situation was. I did most of this in the AM, but
> didn't complete answering the questions on screen until I returned
> home. TIVO just sat there "patiently waiting" on it's questioning
> screen 'till I got home. No, the TV was not on the whole time. I
> answered the last question(s) and got back to watching something
> already recorded.
>
> Right now, it's all good with no discernable (by me) differences.
>
> What's mildly curious is that if Dishnet had done something to their
> lineup, I'd have expected there to be more people experiencing this
> and questioning it in places like this.

What Frank's saying (and I commiserate, being a net and systems admin
myself) is that it might not be something noticeable by the end-user.
I've done some infrastructure changes in the past (domain updates,
database server migrations) that when done correctly look compeletely
transparent to the end-user, but necessitate a reboot or redetection on
the client side that doesn't seem necessary unless you knew what was
going on behind the scenes.

Randy S.
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 12:30:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

George Max <lazarus@removethiswi.rr.com> wrote:

>When the last phone call occurred for my SA TIVO series 2, it told me
>I needed to rerun the guided setup portion relevant to my signal
>source.

Did it go through guided setup or did the message that there was a
lineup change simply go into settings/channel setup?

If that's it, it's a change in version 7.2. They're trying to make
the messages more friendly by immediately putting you into the
necessary part of settings.

There are 3 or 4 different things that will do this. Detecting a
network adapter is one, Change in phone number is another.
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 1:46:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 20:30:30 -0700, Scott Peterson
<scottp4.removethistoreply@mindspring.com> wrote:

>George Max <lazarus@removethiswi.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>When the last phone call occurred for my SA TIVO series 2, it told me
>>I needed to rerun the guided setup portion relevant to my signal
>>source.
>
>Did it go through guided setup or did the message that there was a
>lineup change simply go into settings/channel setup?
>
>If that's it, it's a change in version 7.2. They're trying to make
>the messages more friendly by immediately putting you into the
>necessary part of settings.
>
>There are 3 or 4 different things that will do this. Detecting a
>network adapter is one, Change in phone number is another.


Not whole setup, just the lineup thing.
!