Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WD Green Sata3 (WD20EARX) in Raid 0 config

Last response: in Storage
October 2, 2011 5:16:32 PM

Hi guys, I would like to know if someone has those same HDD's (Western Digital Green 64MB cache SATA3 (6GB/s, model: WD20EARX) in a RAID 0 configuration, I'm about to buy them to get all my documents, music, videos, pictures, etc in them, but I want to RAID0 them to make them a little bit faster when reading, writing and transferring files. My OS would be in a 120GB SSD.

Have you had any problem with this drives connected as RAID (especially RAID 0)?

Thanks.

Best solution

a c 316 G Storage
October 3, 2011 6:02:42 PM

I don't have the experience, but I can tell you off the top of my head about two problems that you may have.

1) The Green drives are slow drives. It's much simpler, and safer for your data, to buy one fast drive instead.

2) These are consumer drives. There is a well-known problem where consumer drives appear to the RAID controller as if they have dropped out of the configuration, because they take time to handle an error themselves and the RAID controller is expecting a faster return telling it to handle the error. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLER for a bare-bones overview.
October 10, 2011 12:36:31 AM

Best answer selected by Xtrastor.
m
l
!